Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please

I recently purchased a large, now obsolete, shoe finishing machine. It has a mechanical issue that I am hoping to come up with a solution for as there are no longer any parts available for it. The machine is essentially a sander/buffer with two independent rods for each purpose. The sander portion is where the problem lies. The machine uses a sanding belt spread tight between twi drums that spin. The bottom is on a rod that has the pully which attaches to the motor which spins the whole mechanism. That is all totally fine. The top wheel has a sort of slave drum used to keep the sand paper belt taut and spinning with the bottom one. The rod on this is all buggered up and needs to be replaces. Can anyone guide me to the type of machine most I would be seeking out to try and manufacture this for me? Many thanks. I have images but I am not seeing a way to attach them here.
    Last edited by Vaudo; 06-08-2017, 02:34 AM.

Anyone with a metalworking lathe can make You a "roundy-bit" arbor much more accurate than needed for sanding,

and properly accurate for the bearings in place, that you actually do need, and the arbor-to-bearings fit does actually need decent precision, around 0.01 mm or better.
    It would take about 30 mins, and cost 20-200€, depending.
    Trending towards 50€ or so..

Look for local machine shops, or cheaper hobby-machine shops, nearby.
    Take the sample, with some beer and donuts/fish & chips along.

One end:
    A trivial bit like yours can often be done semi-free, if/when other work is null.
    One end:
    Bang it on desk of machine shop.
    I want this fixed. Yes sir.
    200€, 15 min. later, done.

Both have pros and cons, and the cheaper is not worse.

Comment

Landis or some other manufacturer? What part of the world are you in? Most any machine shop should be able to make the shaft for you.

Comment

Where are you located? Pictures would help.
        Randy
        Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

Originally posted by randyjaco View Post
          Randy
          I am in Los Angeles...the machine is an AutoSoler brand, below is an image of the bottom of the rod. I am trying to upload the buggered up top part too.

[/url]
          Last edited by Vaudo; 06-08-2017, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by randyjaco View Post
            Randy
            I am in Los Angeles...the machine is an AutonSoler brand

https://i.imgur.com/oQwljN6.jpg
            https://i.imgur.com/psVCvyF.jpg
            Last edited by Vaudo; 06-08-2017, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Would you post a picture of the whole part.
              How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Just turn it down and sleeve it, or weld and machine, not a difficult fix, plus use a roller bearing in the pulley
                Mark

Comment

wow someone stuffed foil in there to make it work lol

any machine shop should be able to help you out just look for small shops that take in jobs like that not mass production places,,,

weld and turn and should be good as new (which probably ain't saying much lol)

the biggest hat trick is it looks like there's slots for circlips and someones going to need a thin one that will cut weld, but they can go wider and really won't hurt anything.
                  Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 06-08-2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

It looks like the bad shaft is welded to the square piece. Cut off the shaft and weld a new shaft on, any welding shop can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1-800miner View Post
                      It looks like the bad shaft is welded to the square piece. Cut off the shaft and weld a new shaft on, any welding shop can do it.
                      that's probably an easier fix than building up weld since it's got slots for circlips.

machine the clip recesses on a shaft then cut and weld it on done deal,

Comment

Sometimes I try to go back to when I did not have a "machine" and maybe he's looking to improvise and do it himself,

in that case, if he can just find a "collar" that fit's his arm pieces bore then he can run a bolt through it --- cut off the square piece flush - file flush or grind, drill and tap, put bolt on with washer on end -- collar on - and maybe he can come up with a slip oversize collar of plastic or something to keep the arm from wandering inward, now he's got stability and no need for circlips either.

edit; have to make a note here, this is a job for some very high strength loc-tite on the bolt's threads, not to mention a high quality bolt as big as you can fit without thinning out the collar to the point of crushing or deforming it when tightening the bolt.

Last edit; just went back and looked at the piece - don't cut to the square piece - utilize the remaining shaft up to the first circlip slot, and use that slot as a guide when filing flush - drill and tap the remaining piece and also go well into the square piece - this will keep the bolt end and collar very short and stubby and create much strength

ok - done with hillbilly fixes... lol
                        Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 06-08-2017, 11:23 AM.

Comment

ok - done with hillbilly fixes... lol[/QUOTE]

A true "hillbilly fix" would include filling the worn part of the shaft with JB Weld. Just put a little grease on the circlips so they don't stick while the goop hardens.

Comment

that makes sense - I guess mine might be called a longer lasting redneck fix, if things go bad it throws a rod, but at least the "crank" gets to run free then.

yours is more hillbilly cuz when the JB lets go it basically becomes an eccentric "wedge" on the already eccentric shaft, then the machine stops and hums - people listen to the humming and wonder what's going on - some even may say "but it sounds like its trying"

about that time comes the smoke and smell from the motor windings,,, followed shortly after by "SHUT IT OFF! --- SHUT IT OFF!"

oops to late lol

Comment

"longer lasting redneck fix" def: Holds long enough for you to get in your truck, drive off the property and onto the gravel road before it fails.

Comment

Working...
                              X