Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbide Tipped Recip. Saw Blades, Anybody Using Them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason I mentioned the oscillation feature was that I have noticed that several manufactures of reciprocating saws now have a setting that allows one to choose to use the strictly back and forth conventional cutting action or choose an oscillating motion. I wood suspect the oscillating setting would be solely for more aggressive cutting in wood and would not be welcome for cutting metal for various reasons. Nice feature if you're a wood butcher I suppose.

My main focus for this saw is metal cutting outside of the shop with the added bonus of being able to cut wood. Probably the opposite of what most use them for.

I was under the impression that the Diablo carbide tipped blades for metal that I linked a short video to in my opening post were a relatively new development and for use on thicker metal. 3/16"-1/2"
    These are of course a much different blade than the bi-metal Diablo Steel Demon blades. Just wondering if they were as effective as the numerous videos claim them to be?

Last edited by Willy; 06-09-2017, 05:13 PM. Reason: grammer
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
      The reason I mentioned the oscillation feature was that I have noticed that several manufactures of reciprocating saws now have a setting that allows one to choose to use the strictly back and forth conventional cutting action or choose an oscillating motion.]
      Do you mean the "orbital action" like on a Bosch jigsaw? It seems to me the Makita recip saw has some fixed orbital motion, it cuts very aggressively. A oscillating saw/multitool is one of these:

Comment

Do you mean the "orbital action"
        Orbital action would be the correct term. Don't really need this for it's intended primary role. But hey I like to keep my options open so if the reciprocating saw I purchase has that as a selectable feature I won't kick.I see a number of recip. saws are no available with this feature.
        Who knows I may need it in the future if I tear some of the older out buildings down later.

But yes not an oscillating multi-tool, I have one of those.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

FWIW even without an adjustable orbital action, the Makita is plenty aggressive in the interior demo i've done. My home has high aggregate plaster on expanded metal mesh, ca 1950. The stuff is nearly an inch thick and is more like cement than plaster, it may even be a portland rather than plaster product. The saw will happily rip through 2 layers and the long way of a dimensional 2X4 taking out a wall.

Comment

Working...
          X