Way OT: Smooth cut can opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way OT: Smooth cut can opener

We recently got one of these smooth cut can openers.

We miss having a magnet, but we don't miss the mess, especially when there's tuna or salmon involved. Being able to store leftovers with the top back in place is very handy, too.

The only drawback so far is that I can't use the lid to smash the tuna while draining off the excess water.

How well do you think the cutting mechanism will hold up compared to the other kind of openers?
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

The one I had didn't last that long, maybe 3 years or so. Other's that I have seem indestructible (ones that cut the inside of the top, so you can mash that part down as you describe to get the liquid out of fish cans, as well as ones that cut below formed edge (so the whole lid is off, and all you have left is the can itself, with a nice sharp edge to cut yourself on).

Comment

My Rosle side cutter has been working excellent for the ten years I've had it.
      Not that I eat that much out of cans, canned food is not really healthy.....

Comment

OK, how can I say this politely...........the can in the picture has a pull top to open it...........no way to say it politely.......you are a clumsy bastard for sure!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I have one of those openers. Works pretty good once I figured out how to handle it.

Winchman: You probably already know this but I don't think it's good practice to store unused portion in an opened can.

Comment

I have a Krups opener of that type We found that there were an ever growing number of cans that it was unable to grab the rim on. Beside, it was a pain not being to drain the tuna with the lid. They actually sell a plastic can drainer. I found the ultimate can opener and it is manual. For decades the best manual was Swing Away, named after a model you could mount in a wall or door and swing away when not in use. The hand held model is the one I am talking about. Swing Away in later years had most of the can opener made by somebody else in the USA, until they moved all production to China. The old parts manufacturer started to manufacture the same design in the USA under the name EZ-DUZ-IT. It is only a couple of bucks more than the Chinese version but still only about 12 bucks. Best Can opener I have ever owned and we have had quite a few. It is a regular cut the top style and I can once again draIn the tuna.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

The picture came from a Walmart ad.

Sure, canned foods aren't as healthy as some alternatives, but they sure beat going hungry or going to McD's.

And I found this about storing food in opened: "....the cans are lined. The lining is obviously able to stand up to the canning process itself, then the long shelf life--it is unlikely to be in danger from a few days in the refrigerator." Most opened cans are finished off in one day (lunch and supper servings), none stay in the fridge more than two days.
              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

We had one. It didn't last too long. I back to hank crank..tired of stuff sitting on the countertops

Comment

I use a hand-crank side cutting tin opener. Seems better build than most of the top opening ones I've had in the past.
                  Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

The cans still have the bad stuff in the linings in many cases. most of the plastic package folks have eliminated it, the can people are defiant about it.

Cans have advantages. And they are recyclable, which many plastics are really not.
                    4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by winchman View Post
                      We recently got one of these smooth cut can openers.

How well do you think the cutting mechanism will hold up compared to the other kind of openers?

We have had this one for 18 years now and it still works great. More of an uncrimper than cutter. Many cans have been opened with it.. JR

Comment

I do not like these type of can openers, not after I found thin slivers of metal in my soup from the cutting of the can!

Comment

I bought an oxo can opener from wall mart, it's been brilliant to be fair, should have bought two but the customs guy was rather puzzled when searching my bag, who goes to the US to buy a can opener, then he found the wrenches, some vee blocks, and some rigid small bore tube benders, he gave up then
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                            We have had this one for 18 years now and it still works great. More of an uncrimper than cutter. Many cans have been opened with it.. JR

That is the turkey that we have. In fact we have two. When the first one started working lousey we thought it must have become defective and got another. SOS. There are many cans that it just cannot grab the lip on. It does not do square corners well, either. Those pull tops on sardine cans sometimes pull off instead of opening the can and then you need a can opener. We went back to a really good manual.It never misses and costs 1/3 of the Krups and needs no electricity. It is just as fast, too. E-Z DUZ-IT, 12 bucks, Made in USA.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

We have an older Swing-A-Way top cutter, a Tupperware side opener that my wife got because of my arthritis...it is better for me than the top cutter...and if all else fails, I still have a couple of P-38's around!
                              David Kaiser
                              “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
                              ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                              X