Metal chop saw - non abrassive-- wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal chop saw - non abrassive-- wow

Picked up a Makita LC1230 a while back. Early impressions... very impressed. Cuts like butter even through solid steel bar, parts are cool to touch immediately, not too loud, not too messy. I see the bandsaw and hacksaw collecting a lot of dust.

I have the Evolution 10" compound miter saw and the Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw, love them both. I still use my other cutting tools for various jobs.
    "CX" - I am addicted to brake fluid but I can stop anytime.
    https://www.facebook.com/SkullyWoodMetal/

Comment

The more I read about these the more I want one.

Comment

Is the Makita that much more of saw than the Evolution to justify the higher price?
        Len

Comment

The noise they make is horrifying.
          They scare the heck out of me.
          I am just waiting for a bind-up
          and for a tooth to fly off and nail me
          main artery. No freaking thank you sir!

-Doozer
          DZER

Comment

I have a carbide toothed cut-off saw and Doozer is right, the noise is horrifying. BUT they are quick and cut through much faster than a bandsaw. I use mine when I don't feel like setting up the bandsaw for a cut. The finish is actually better than the bandsaw but it is not as accurate as my bandsaw.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Any cheap harbor freight horizontal bandsaw will easily if slowly cut off multiple pieces of 4 inch solid d-2 tool steel. Will your saw do this? Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

These should leave a better cut than a band saw - squareness and finish. That's imo is their advantage - for many parts no subsequent machining is required. Except for that, I don't see the appeal, mostly because I can put some huge piece in the bandsaw and work on other things while it cuts away. How long it takes to cut doesn't matter....its how much of my time it takes. The chop saw would need a power feed to compete.
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

-Doozer
                  They scare the hell out me also. But they are convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
                    Any cheap harbor freight horizontal bandsaw will easily if slowly cut off multiple pieces of 4 inch solid d-2 tool steel. Will your saw do this? Edwin Dirnbeck
                    I suspect so and quicker. Send me a chunk and I'll try.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

-Doozer

This saw is pretty quiet.. my Johnson saw makes damn near as much noise and has to stay running waay longer for comparable cut. More expensive chop saws are quieter and have better vises among other things. The blade enclosure is comprehensive as well.

Comment

If you examine the cost per cut for these saws you'll find that they are much more expensive to operate when compared to a bandsaw.

They work well but I find the blades are expensive.
                        www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

I have a Milwaukee 14" dry cut saw, with a carbide blade, it's been my primary saw for about the last 7-8 years. It uses the 60 tooth carbide tipped blades, it cost about $25 to have it resharpened, the last time it was $35, because they replaced 3 chipped teeth.

I also have a 7" x 12" drop bandsaw and Wilton cold cut saw, the Milwaukee, gives a great square cut, is much quicker and easier to use, than the other saws (large pieces are still cut in the other saws).
                          jack

Comment

For the naysayers out there, you'll find that industry uses high end cold saws extensively. They work faster, quieter, cooler and produce better cuts than bandsaws or abrasive saws. Quality blades can be resharpened and that, combined with the fact that they cut much faster, equates to cheaper operation. Next time you buy an odd length of stock, look at the end. It was either sheared or cut with a cold saw.

Whether or not lower end cold saws can compete in a home shop environment is a different matter.

Edit: I see that there is a growing distinction between "cold cut" saws and "dry cut" saws. What are now being called cold cut saws seem to be the slow, coolant flooded variety while the dry cut saws are basically cold saws but without the coolant. Depending on which models you're comparing, the dry cut saws may also spin faster.
                            Last edited by Fasttrack; 06-08-2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

I have a somewhat elderly cold saw with a slow turning HSS circular saw blade, it makes very little noise (none at all until I switch it on) and always cuts square. Anything I can machine with HSS it can easily cut.

Comment

Working...
                              X