Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever wonder why copper, brass, and bronze has gotten so expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever wonder why copper, brass, and bronze has gotten so expensive?

Here is why:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mining-...ute-1496889078

Unfortunately, you have to be a WSJ subscriber to view that article.

Comment

I viewed it as a non subscriber through Drudge Report at http://www.drudgereport.com/

Comment

that link didn't work for me...view-able here http://www.superiorarizonachamber.or...-water-minute/

Comment

A few years ago the spot price for copper was around $4/lb. Today it is about $2.50/lb. A few months ago it was a bit closer to $2 than it is now, so it has come up a little, but I don't see a worldwide shortage of copper - yet. I keep a bucket for scrap brass/bronze and another for copper, and I only sell them when copper prices are up. My buckets are pretty full ...

metalmagpie

Comment

I worked in mining for a while. it is no longer rough and tumble do what needs to be done. you can't just bulldoze cacti out of the way. you have to dig up and replant cacti, noting where they came from so you can relocate them later. you can give them away, but the cactus must be replanted in the same orientation as it grew - the north side of the cactus will sunburn if it faces south.

safety and environmental regulations suck all profit out of mining in the USA

Comment

Just how much does it cost to move a cactus? Did I miss another opportunity that was under my nose? Why am I always in the wrong business?

I was told that copper prices went up after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans or the New Orleans area due to the demand for copper wiring. I know they are still rebuilding some places there, but I think we must be past that shortage by now.

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
              I worked in mining for a while. it is no longer rough and tumble do what needs to be done. you can't just bulldoze cacti out of the way. you have to dig up and replant cacti, noting where they came from so you can relocate them later. you can give them away, but the cactus must be replanted in the same orientation as it grew - the north side of the cactus will sunburn if it faces south.

Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 06-08-2017, 11:10 PM.
              Paul A.

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Hello,

Just for interest/comparison, I live in Malaysia and last week I bought 28mm diameter brass bar at RM 33 per kilogram ( US$ 7.70 per kilogram or US$ 3.4 per pound) This is new stock from a cut-to-length stockist which sells to small local workshops so I'm sure it can be had cheaper from larger stockists for larger quantities.

Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by IanPendle View Post
                  Hello,

Just for interest/comparison, I live in Malaysia and last week I bought 28mm diameter brass bar at RM 33 per kilogram ( US$ 7.70 per kilogram or US$ 3.4 per pound) This is new stock from a cut-to-length stockist which sells to small local workshops so I'm sure it can be had cheaper from larger stockists for larger quantities.

Ian.
                  That's dirt cheap.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Comment

I was quoted 90.00 CAN. Per foot for 1.25 round copper last summer..

Comment

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post

Seems you have no idea of the costs involved in either mining nor moving cactuses.
                      Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Working...
                      X