O/A Welding Tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/A Welding Tip?

Hello again everybody, another question from the new guy....

On a daily basis I use my Oxy Acetylene torch for cutting and heating things. I've decided I would like to try my hand at gas welding. Can anybody tell me what size tip and welding rod would be appropriate for exhaust pipe work? I have a pile of scrap and want to see if I can't get the hang of it. Not doing any stainless steel at this point.

James

I use a number 1. I weld a lot of exhaust pipe and body panels.

Comment

3/32

Comment

If you want to practice use steel coat hanger straightened out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by randy_m View Post
          If you want to practice use steel coat hanger straightened out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I haven't seen a steel coat hanger in years... used up the last of my "stock" in the closet a long time ago. I mean, if you actually wanted a metal coat hanger these days, you'd probably have to go buy some welding rod and bend it up yourself Either that, or an antique store. Yeah, not all progress is a good thing, at least for an HSMer.

David...
          http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

I seem to think I use a no 5 for some reason, you don't want a tiny nozzle to learn, a little bit bigger so you can learn to form a puddle and move it, get some 1/8 plate and learn to fuse it, no filler 90 degree corner, bring them together and tack, then run a weld along by just fusing, the edges will melt then pop together as surface tension fails, assuming they touch!.
            Exhaust (new) same thing, butt together and fuse, no filler, suprising it works, that's how I learned when I was a kid, teaches you how to set pressures and torch/ puddle manipulation.
            When you start with filler use tig rods the copper coat helps as its a deoxidant, neutral flame, blue cone feather on the tip.
            Loads of videos online
            Try not to jump when it pops!, it will if you dig the torch in, when you get it it the most relaxing welding process, you go into a trance making tiny circles with the flame
            Mark

Comment

As Mark says, OA welding is relaxing. I love to OA weld. I use a wire feed welder when I want to finish quickly but much prefer OA. TIG and stick are OK but I love OA.
              I learned to OA in a high school summer job in a body shop in the late 1940s.
              Did I say I love to OA weld.
              Bill
              PS: I would vote for a #1 tip for exhaust pipe welding.
              Last edited by Seastar; 06-09-2017, 09:06 AM.
              I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Do a google search for welding tip sizes and you will find all kinds of info.

Here are some decent charts
                http://dennisalbert.com/Welding/WeldingTipGuide.htm

Comment

the old coat hanger is too big. I use the left over wire from the mig when it runs out. I also have a roll of .045 mig wire that got wet and you can not run through the liner. I had a roll from a old wire tie bailer that worked good.. a friend of mine used the tie wires from steel bars.

Comment

A good tip ( no pun ) for gas welding is use a tip that will heat your material to welding temp in 5 to 7 seconds.
                    If it's not heated by then you're too small, assuming correct regulator and torch settings.

Another excellent way to learn temp and puddle control is to first deliberately over heat and hole some material you'll be working on.
                    Get to know what that material looks and behaves like when it melts through then practice to control that.
                    Do that with a variety of materials and sizes and you'll be a wiz in no time.
                    Len

Comment

Originally posted by itsjames2011 View Post
                      Hello again everybody, another question from the new guy....

On a daily basis I use my Oxy Acetylene torch for cutting and heating things. I've decided I would like to try my hand at gas welding. Can anybody tell me what size tip and welding rod would be appropriate for exhaust pipe work? I have a pile of scrap and want to see if I can't get the hang of it. Not doing any stainless steel at this point.

James
                      The advice given here is good. You should be able to find a cross reference chart for your torch. Given the thickness of the metal, it will tell you what tip size you should use as well as settings for fuel and oxy. For instance, this chart is used when welding using a Victor torch.

Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

If you go buy rod make sure you get RG45 or RG60 and not 70S2.

Comment

I had a look in my box of old nozzles today, it was a no2, I also found a DH tip holder, small screw on tips with a common shank, the tips were cheap, I found them clumsy though compared to a copper one peice, I was quite suprised I still had single hole copper nozzles up to 72, that's about a 1/4" hole I think, I didn't measure the bugger, it was huge, I would not like to weld with that again, I don't think I could.
                          I also found a tiny torch, think it's for lead work really tiny little tips, great for bending glass and stuff, I last used that to make the Mrs a silver ring years ago, suprising what you find in Old boxes.
                          Mark

Comment

The first time I tried gas welding was when our truck mechanic was welding an exhaust pipe. I watched what he was doing and said let me try that. He was amazed I did it so well. For me it was just like tig welding but slower, so it was easy to make the transition.

Comment

It's fun, and once you have the kit gas really lasts(provided you don't forget to turn the bottles off)
                              Brilliant for brazing lathe tips on too.
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X