small needle valve const.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small needle valve const.?

Hello, I am new to your forum. I have a SB w/qc, power-hacksaw and a lot of imagination (among other things...). It appears there are a lot of skilled/talented people on your board and many things to be learned here. I look forward to helping when I can and learning things. Speaking of learning things... and I hope my question is not OT , but is it possible to make a small adjustable needle valve (brass) to be soldered in line to 3/16 copper tubing? Purpose being to control butane gas flow to a stirling engine burner. Can the seat be cut to match the needle without using built up construction (one piece valve)? Thanks for any replies. Scott.
    \"Be skeptical of any perpetual-motion proposal in which the assumed motion causes no change in the position of the center of mass of any part of the system\"

You don't machine a seat angle on a low pressure needle valve. You make the seat a sharp corner and use the needle to swage the sharp corner into a seat config so the seat width is about 1/64" wide or less. Make the needle about 30 degrees included angle out of something harder than the seat/body material and stone/polish the needle cone into geometrical prefection.

Comment

"polish the needle cone into geometrical prefection...."

Would that be at the atomic scale Forrest?

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 08-10-2004).]
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Jeeze, Forrest that was quick. Appreciate it very much, indeed. I like your column, I follow along and learn what I can. Instead of running the needle in and forming the seat, could a very small "o" ring be used with the pressure that a standard butane refill canister would provide? I don't intend to use this method but wonder just the same. Problem solved! Scott.
        \"Be skeptical of any perpetual-motion proposal in which the assumed motion causes no change in the position of the center of mass of any part of the system\"

Comment

Sounds like Evan's trying cooking up some new ideas on how to get his polishing even better, if that's possible... All of the project pics I've seen are super shiny, although I guess that isn't necessarily _geometric_ perfection.

[This message has been edited by Ryobiguy (edited 08-10-2004).]

Comment

Have a look at needle valves and spraybars for model I.C.engines. Anything by "OS" will be well made,but all manufacturers make them as spares.

Allan

Comment

When I made the carburetor for Edgar T. Westbury's "Kiwi" engine, I used a piece of a large sewing needle for the "needle" part of the valve. The needle got Loctited into the shank of the valve. It seats in a drilled hole of appropriate diameter.

I hasten to point out that I haven't actually RUN this engine yet...but the needle valve construction is pertty much per ETW's directions.
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas, I am going to try building this valve myself and see how well it works. I will try to post a picture of it if I can figure out how on this forum. Fire up that Kiwi, SGW! Curious: what type of engine is this? Scott.

Comment

Ryobiguy,

I've been tempted to try electropolishing which really does polish at the atomic scale. It needs lots of current and hot electrolyte baths which has deterred me so far. The current aspect is not a problem as my DC welder will work fine as a source but hot acid baths are another story.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

"Kiwi" is a single-cylinder engine, 1" bore x 1 1/8" stroke, that was designed by Edgar T. Westbury in the 1930s and published in Model Engineer magazine. He updated the design (slightly) in the early '60s. Castings are vailable from Woking Precision Models (in England) for either an air- or water-cooled version. Think "early British motorcycle engine" for the air-cooled version and you'll have the general idea. I was making great progress on it while I was laid off, but now that I've got a real job again the shop time is pretty sparse.
                    ----------
                    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Working...
                    X