Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is this extra ordinary or normal off topic Dog question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this extra ordinary or normal off topic Dog question?

We have a small Papillion Dog we have had him since newly born almost, he is now seven and a half . A very loving and beautiful dog. It is actually Brons Dog .Anyway we used to when he was younger every time we passed a charity shop buy a small stuffed toy. Eventually we had a large box full every time we got a new one Bron my wife would wash it etc and give it a name, such as brown owl or big elephant etc. When we eventually stopped we had 68 of these and I kid you not they were in his little playroom or the grandkids playroom. When Bronwen sent him from the living room and asked him to fetch one by name he always brought back the correct one. Looking back on this it seems to me to be to me at any rate to be quite phenomenal, but he did it and seemed to love doing it .Does anyone else have a similar story especially about any animals with a great memory or unusual behaviour. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Definitley extra ordinary, My four year old black lab can only manage to do this with two or three toys.

Ian

Comment

My wife has trouble bringing me a single beer!

Your little dog is phenomenal!

Care to share the secret? I have an application!

Comment

I knew a hippie who had a large dog that was trained to bite anyone who drank out of the hippies beer glass when he wasn't looking. Everybody brought their dogs into the old Kilaloe bar, and most slept under the table where their masters were setting. This dog however, was a large Bouvier des Flanders with a mean temper, and it sat up in a chair beside it's owner. If Budsy (The hippie) got into a conversation with somebody and one of the other people at the table sneaked a drink out of his glass, the dog would immediately give him a Hell of a bite!!.--That's a true story from my "Year with the hippies" experience.
        Brian Rupnow

Comment

I have read about it, in fact there was a documentary, I think it was the secret life of dogs, but may be wrong, anyway there was an experiment with a sheepdog, there weren't 60+ items but she was able to manage at least a dozen, not just toys, other things as well, proving what we thought all along, people underestimate the mental capacity of animals, and other humans for that matter!, seeming not so bright people intelligence wise can learn a language other than thier own, the basics they reckon is over a thousand words, I know people who are fluent in 6 or more, a fact I find amazing.
          Dogs learn languages to, Welsh dogs who end up with a new owner have to learn the language, and vise versa so there must be more in thier heads than we think, I'm told they don't forget the first, I know many people who can't manage one language let alone 2.
          Smart things dogs, but it does detract from the new Governent initiative to ease the guide dog shortage, guide cats for the blind, saves on benefits too
          Mark

Comment

Watch it to the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTuiE1_Oe8

Ed
            For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Haven't watched the above referenced video yet but I remember seeing one with the same scenario, (maybe that's the one) many,many, toys in a different room that the dog would selectively retrieve depending on what was asked of him. What really blew me away was when they put a strange toy in the room that the dog had never seen before and asked him to go get "----", which was also a name he had never heard before. Dog goes into room and returns with correct toy. The logic being that---- he knew every toy in that room by name and also knew that what he was asked to get was NOT one of those familiar toys. After checking everything he decides that the only strange toy in the room must be the one the person wanted, so he brings that one!
              Last edited by johnd; 06-10-2017, 10:22 PM.

Comment

God that is amazing about the new toy with a different name - stellar deductive reasoning skills

I don't think Id want a dog that smart I would find it intimidating lol

I guess I can understand the border collies being so selective, I bet they can tell at a glace what sheeps who out of many so hardwirings already in place and toys that are very different is im sure a cake walk to them - but attaching a name and having them know is incredible - im in awe

I luv my new pooch - she's part Mountain Cur part Pit and the most athletic dog iv ever had so keeping the old guy active,

something like 200,000 years of us being homo sapiens and the last 50 or so thou of it co-habitating with our furry little friends,,, is it any wonder we've built up such a bond and visa versa... have to love the dogs, just have to or your not fully human lol

Comment

Blackforrest is the sheepdog expert here, have you seen his video of him working a blind dog, amazing, that's a definite skill that's rare.
                  Collies are clever dogs but to get at the clever takes some serious dedication
                  Mark

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                    God that is amazing about the new toy with a different name - stellar deductive reasoning skills

I don't think Id want a dog that smart I would find it intimidating lol

I guess I can understand the border collies being so selective, I bet they can tell at a glace what sheeps who out of many so hardwirings already in place and toys that are very different is im sure a cake walk to them - but attaching a name and having them know is incredible - im in awe

I luv my new pooch - she's part Mountain Cur part Pit and the most athletic dog iv ever had so keeping the old guy active,

something like 200,000 years of us being homo sapiens and the last 50 or so thou of it co-habitating with our furry little friends,,, is it any wonder we've built up such a bond and visa versa... have to love the dogs, just have to or your not fully human lol
                    Dogs have varying degrees of intelligence, but the reason humans love dogs is because, no matter how dumb the owner is, it's usually fairly obvious to the owner that the dog is a least a little bit dumber.

Comment

I got a golden Lab puppy when I was in college.
                      I called him ZAK, but he came to "chow" better.

At just over a year of age, I took him out duck hunting. We were standing in a shallow wet spot in central North Dakota, the dog, a good friend and I, when a flight of 8 mallards coursed over at about 30 feet.

I had my double gun, so only got 2, but my friend was carrying a pump action and he hit three green heads Pow, pow, pow. The birds fell all around us, One nearly landing in my game bag!

That Dog, having never been in the field, or even saw a duck before that day, He Marked those FIVE falls and splashed that pond retrieving all of them without a word from me, except "Good Boy, On!" with a wave of my arm, when he brought them to hand. Each carried with a mouth so soft, he could have held a new hatched duckling unharmed.

My jaw never really came up until the drive home! I think it was something in his blood!

I miss that dog! Might need to move out west and get a good dog some day.

Comment

Our Corgi knows 5 or 6 toys by name.

The champ seems to be a Border Collie named Chaser that knows over 1000 toys by name. As others have mentioned, he and his owner were the subject of a documentary a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by CalM View Post
                          I got a golden Lab puppy when I was in college.
                          I called him ZAK, but he came to "chow" better.

At just over a year of age, I took him out duck hunting. We were standing in a shallow wet spot in central North Dakota, the dog, a good friend and I, when a flight of 8 mallards coursed over at about 30 feet.

I had my double gun, so only got 2, but my friend was carrying a pump action and he hit three green heads Pow, pow, pow. The birds fell all around us, One nearly landing in my game bag!

That Dog, having never been in the field, or even saw a duck before that day, He Marked those FIVE falls and splashed that pond retrieving all of them without a word from me, except "Good Boy, On!" with a wave of my arm, when he brought them to hand. Each carried with a mouth so soft, he could have held a new hatched duckling unharmed.

My jaw never really came up until the drive home! I think it was something in his blood!

I miss that dog! Might need to move out west and get a good dog some day.
                          That's incredible - and to me full on believable, We think we know allot about how things tic but somethings missing,

somehow things get transferred from generation to generation and not just the rough draft of DNA makeup,,, we may find out someday - or not, does not waver my belief in some kind of brain chemistry transfer of information or some odd thing... cool story Cal

Comment

We had a lot of dogs on the farm where I spent my childhood, about 20 of which 5 or so were really 'learners' and they seemed to learn almost all they needed to know from the old dogs and that included several commands and even the ability to go off and do a task out of sight and without further direction from the human.

Comment

We had one dog which was especially talented and could even count. One day we mustered the back paddock where there should have been 3215 sheep but the dogs came in with only 3213, two short!

The old dog was sent off to find the two and bring them in, he was practically given up for dead when after nearly a week there was still no sign of him returning but then he arrived but with just one sheep and dragging a fresh pelt. Obviously he had killed the other for dog tucker.

Comment

Working...
                              X