X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highpower
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrisnj View Post
    I haven't purchased any tooling. Looking around for possibilities, cam't rule out anything being this is a defunct oddball. Those chucks are too small anyway.
    My mistake. I got your #1 and #3 posts mixed up and thought you had just won the lathe chuck you linked to on ebay.

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied

The shank that chuck is supplied with doesn't provide for a draw bar.
    You can cut off the tang or end, drill it and tap for a draw bar. I am doubting it is an MT-1 beyond the steep angle in the head stock though.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Using this sizing chart you could use measured shanks of some drill bits or other round bits and check for size vs depth and confirm the size of the taper. That's where I'd want to start just so there's no mistakes. The strong secondary angle on the nose suggests that it's intended for collets. But a collet would not have a MT taper on the rear portion.

Mind you some previous owner might have needed a touch more room for something or produced some home made collets or the like and modified the spindle to have that strong secondary taper in the opening. Measuring things up to confirm if the spindle has a proper MT1 or not would be a wise starting point before you go further.

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied

If you look at my screen name it shouldn't be difficult to figure out.
    Your screen name doesn't mean squat to anyone but you, as it pertains to your location. My first guess is that your name is Christian Jones, or maybe Jackson.
    Only after seeing your fireclay thread plus your hint, did I make the connection to NJ.
    Last edited by lynnl; 06-12-2017, 10:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chrisnj
    replied
    I haven't purchased any tooling. Looking around for possibilities, cam't rule out anything being this is a defunct oddball. Those chucks are too small anyway.

I could opt to send patterns to cattail foundry and have them send me faceplates and back plates in cast iron.

If you look at my screen name it shouldn't be difficult to figure out.

Leave a comment:

• Highpower
    replied
    I just won an M5 on ebay for very little money but mine has no chuck.
    Just curious as to what your location is since you are purchasing tooling off of eBay from India.

Leave a comment:

• Highpower
    replied
    so, looking at your picture, and thanks for uploading it, the outer short taper, does it look like an mt1? I suppose it could be (I'm not exactly a crack machinist, crack-head maybe , but a taper that short - would it be enough to hold an mt1 center? I'm relearning a lot of stuff.
    No. The inner taper is the M1. The outer taper looks to me more like it would take something similar to an ER style collet.

The swing was 5" (2.5" centre height) with a 31/8" swing over the cross slide and a choice of either 10" or 14" between the No. 1 Morse taper tailstock and headstock spindle - the latter with a short, steep internal taper to take collets, though the type is unknown.

Leave a comment:

• Chrisnj
    replied
    so, looking at your picture, and thanks for uploading it, the outer short taper, does it look like an mt1? I suppose it could be (I'm not exactly a crack machinist, crack-head maybe , but a taper that short - would it be enough to hold an mt1 center? I'm relearning a lot of stuff.

Tony's a great guy, but the reality is the info on that site can't be considered the final word, or necessarily comprehensive in an all knowing sense. Tony, if he personally writes all the material even, w/few exceptions has never even seen most of the machines. Don't take that as devaluing his site, we all love it and consult it frequently I'm sure. There isn't anything quite like it on the net.
    Last edited by Chrisnj; 06-12-2017, 05:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chrisnj
    replied
    I guess I had assumed the spindle had 2 tapers. All I know is the headstock and tailstock can take the same odd Edelstaal collets.

The shank that chuck is supplied with doesn't provide for a draw bar.

I don't have high hopes or aspirations for this machine. Just got it cheap and it's keeping my mind occupied. It is motivating me to try some aluminum casting though. I'll just do it in the dirt . I actually built a rather sturdy foundry furnace/kiln years ago, but it just sat around so I tossed it out, had way too much stuff.

I don't actually own any complete lathes these days. I do have a Prazi sd400 sans leadscrew/crosslide. But it has the tailstock and 3 jaw chuck so I assume I have everything I need to tap threads in a homemade aluminum faceplate. 1 step at a time.

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    They could work on this small machine but the internal looks like a combination of morse 1 TAIL STOCK and and some other steep taper at the the spindle nose with a 9/16" pass through. Are you sure it's a morse taper in the spindle nose or did you misread? If it is and you do use it, make a suitable length draw bar from some decent steel and take care what it bears on at the pulley end. The chuck you show also has an M14x1 thread for the shank.

Form the Lathes.uk site: "The swing was 5" (2.5" centre height) with a 31/8" swing over the cross slide and a choice of either 10" or 14" between the No. 1 Morse taper tailstock and headstock spindle - the latter with a short, steep internal taper to take collets, though the type is unknown"

Entire machine : http://www.lathes.co.uk/machinex/

Little Machine Shop should list the unfinished face plates.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 06-11-2017, 10:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chrisnj
    replied
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Lathe-C...IAAOSwTM5Y2kc7

and it occurred to me that if the spindle would take an MT1 center, why not one of these?

and if anyone knows where I can find small 3-4" unfinished cast iron backplates (or faceplates) suitable for a spindle OD of 1" that would help too.
    Last edited by Chrisnj; 06-11-2017, 03:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    link?

Leave a comment:

• Chrisnj
    started a topic Machinex 5

Machinex 5

can these tiny 3 jaw chuck w/more 1 shanks be utilized? The M5 has a Morse 1 as I understand, but it's such a short taper. I just won an M5 on ebay for very little money but mine has no chuck. I did order a 1" x 16tpi tap though. I intend to cast a bunch of aluminum faceplates one of these days.
Working...
X