insane in the membrane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insane in the membrane?

These were for sale 2 blocks from me. Reasonable price, less than 25 cents a pound. I believe he said they were tractor sprockets, whatever those are.

They are big, over 36" diameter and nowhere thinner than 2" thick, and weigh over 250 pounds each.

Now that they're here, I have NO IDEA what to do with them.

But I had to have them.

metalmagpie

Track driving wheels? (Off a Caterpillar, to judge by the colour.) They'll be interesting to work on.

Comment

If you could identify just what they fit you might be able to sell them for a nice profit and buy material in more useful sizes. They look new as far as I can tell from your pic so would be of interest to someone refurbishing an older machine.

Comment

Yep, track sprockets. Worn too. I always thought I wanted a bulldozer until I had to operate one with worn out sprockets and rails (the chain that the sprocket and rollers run on and the plates bolt to) If you ever run a dozer out of the tracks and spend a couple of hours with a pry bar and come along and a lot of sweat, you may rethink your aspirations. Even worse, out of both tracks while half loaded on a lowboy trailer. My dad had something to say about that one...
        Also, having an old bulldozer gets old if you break a track link on the jobsite and try welding it back together because replacements are unavailable in the state or surrounding states.
        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

They look like they came from an excavator to me. Might be a cat number one number one letter 4 numbers (1x1111) that would help find out what they fit.

Comment

Now you just need to buy a lathe that can turn them down.

Comment

I can see an interrupted cut!
              Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

Comment

Make barbells!

Comment

Or giant spurs there are plenty of big cowboys about.Al
                  Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I'll trade you 2 3 bladed alum props & we both pay our own shipping
                    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                    country, in easy stages."
                    ~ James Madison

Comment

They look worn to me as well. I refurbished a set on a small excavator years ago. I was able to order hardened half circle cups that fir tightly into the sprocket and returned it to it's proper pitch and diameter. Just run a hot bead around the perimeter of each half-round, both sides and a bead between each other and done. I didn't even take off the sprocket. It went back to work and used it for many years. Couldn't believe how easy it was and inexpensive. Never threw a track after that.

Comment

Nice,heavy bases for tool pedestals,good haul.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I agree with Wes. My job for many summers and weekends entailed replacing tracks small crawlers.
                          The worst was in a large creek at night with it trying to snow. He was not supposed to be in the creek with the tractor and wanted it out before anyone noticed.
                          I had to do another on a pile of Pea Silage. It stunk so bad that when I got home I stripped to my shorts outside and put the clothes in a washtub before going inside for a shower.

Comment

I know a guy that just sold his entire new old (and I mean OLD) stock inventory of International and Cat crawler parts for 50 cents a lb. Brand new sprockets, track pads, track links, turning brake clutches, bronze bushings you could stick your arm through. Well over 25,000 lbs IIRC.

Comment

Tractor weights. You can double your $$ easily if you find someone with a small tractor that just fitted a loader. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X