Another new guy ( long introduction)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new guy ( long introduction)

New member from S. Oregon. I've been visiting here on occasion, for a few years. I've been in steel/metal fabrication for 44 yrs. but never a chip maker unless you count 6 months running a radial arm drill (20 dia column X 6 ft arm) First 24 yrs I worked in the shop starting as a helper. Became a certified welder, 2 & 3G on plate, 3G on pipe, unlimited dia. & thickness. Along the way, besides running the usual shop machinery such as shears and ironworkers, I spent 3 yrs running a Marvel 81APC programmable saw, I was the first person in our company to be trained to run CNC press brakes from 220 tons up to 750 ton X 16 ft Pacific w/3 axis control. I also spent 4 yrs running a CNC Whitney 647D Panelmaster, a combination punch and plasma machine. The last 20 yrs I've been in Supervision, Production coordination determining and entering BOM's and routings and finally, Sales/Estimating. My garage is pretty full with 2 welders, a plasma, Oxy/acy torch, 20 ton press with a brake attachment, 5/8" drill press, a small lathe (9 X 19) small metal saw, small table saw, 2 gas powered generators, pedestal grinder, compressor, my Harley and my Barracuda but I think I've made room to fit a small mini mill to play with during my up coming retirement. I'll probably be asking some pretty basic questions over the next several months so please bear with me.

Joe

Welcome aboard, I too was the FNG a couple months back..
    Last edited by 754; 06-15-2017, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Welcome. this is a great place to learn. Lots of knowledge here.

Comment

Welcome from the Salem area. I've been the FNG for years.

lg
        no neat sig line

Comment

X2 on what chip's said,lot's of knowledge here

Comment

Originally posted by chip's View Post
            Welcome. this is a great place to learn. Lots of knowledge here.
            I agree, although you do get the occasional weirdo who makes a 29:38 video on how to make your own drill bits from cold rolled steel...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
              I agree, although you do get the occasional weirdo who makes a 29:38 video on how to make your own drill bits from cold rolled steel...
              I really enjoy that weirdo for some reason. I just wish I could figure out where he gets his import Italian WD40 from... Its olive based right? I went to Canal street as well as little Italy in the Bronx. Neither had import WD40.
              12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
              Logan 825 - work in progress
              My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
              Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
              Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

Comment

Welcome from Canada! The wife and just returned from a lengthy road trip which included a run down the Oregon coast which fulfilled a bucket list must do. We thoroughly enjoyed it.
                Anyway, lots of great people and info here - just ask!

Comment

Welcome to the best forum on the web. Sounds like you have a wide variety of skills in your background and I look forward to your posts.
                  Paul A.

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by engineerd3d View Post
                    I really enjoy that weirdo for some reason. I just wish I could figure out where he gets his import Italian WD40 from... Its olive based right? I went to Canal street as well as little Italy in the Bronx. Neither had import WD40.
                    I gotta admit that weirdo's ability to shape steel by hitting it is impressive... However, I'm wondering why he needs a TIG machine to weld. I won't be impressed until he runs a bead along a seam using his finger. Do you hear that WOW (Which Old Weirdo) ??? That's a CHALLENGE...

Comment

Working...
                    X