Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Has anyone built an ultrasonic cleaner? I've got plans from an old electronics mag (powersupply, oscillator, transducers). How would one estimate the power required to properly clean items? I would like to have something large enough to clean engine blocks (V8s). Any sources for surplus transducters good to ~60 khz?

[This message has been edited by Dusty (edited 08-10-2004).]

I say forget it and find another project. A cleaner that size will require 3000 to 5000 watts of acoustic energy for a 200 gal tank. The cost to build will be astronomical and not likely to turn out well.

As a commercial example have a look here:

http://www.blackstone-ney.com/02.ind_cons.php

Don't bother looking for price, this is in the class of "If you have to ask you can't afford it".

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I think amazing products has a pendant style ultrasonic kit for about 100 dollars.

They say the clothes washer worked so well it had to get bought before it put the name brand washer companies out of business.

ANYONE with metal in them, the sound makes the metal vibrate. A guy I knowed with some wire and plates in his jaw used to hold his head and run.. *(I use one tattooing)

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-09-2005).]

Comment

I'm risking bashing by the classified police, but I have a large ultrasonic cleaner for sale. Cost $20,000 new, but sell for a pittance. Not sure the compartments are quite large enough for 8 cyl block though. Email with min tank dimensions and I'll check if interested.

Comment

http://www.amazing1.com/ultra.htm

------------------
          David Cofer, Of:
          Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Comment

perhaps this is what you want.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3832631458&ssPage Name=ST RK:MEWA:IT

and will somebody explain to me how to put the above set-up into operation on a tank .....do you just plonk a speaker on the side of the tank or is there more too-it than that.
            all the best...mark

[This message has been edited by Mark Jones (edited 08-10-2004).]

Comment

No speaker. It has to be correctly coupled to an ultrasonic transducer of the rated wattage. The transducer has to be correctly mechanically coupled to the tank which must be the correct size, shape, thickness and material for the transducer.

Comment

David,

I can't belive he is still in business. That used to be Don Britton Enterprises and he has been selling plans for pocket lasers and other assorted stuff that rarely works since I was a kid. That one looks like a variation on his old mosquito repeller gadget.

Comment

I ordered a night vision device plans from him about five years ago.

ALSO.. unless the pendant method is used and suspended in the tank NOTHING can lay on the transducer on the bottom of the tank I have a rack for my small units.

TRICK? I use a dixie cup in a cupholder I machined out of plexiglass.

I was working on a old branson unit someone gave me, I was probing the unit with my fluke meter. I was quite surprised to see 1200 volts on the readout.. SO? dangerous voltages are present. It ramps up and down to shatter the fluid into bubbles to scrub whatever...

This post has me interested, keep us informed..

------------------
                  David Cofer, Of:

Comment

The factory units I have the transducer is epoxied to the tank.. the metal is thin so it will vibrate easily.

I put one on a cheapo kitchen sink one time. It worked but not as well as I wanted... I used a branson ultrasonic power unit I had repaired.

------------------
                    David Cofer, Of:

Comment

Working...
                    X