OT: New farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: New farm

I recently told the wife that we are at the upper limits as to the number of horses we have for the amount of pasture we have. That in fact we could reduce the number by two or three actually.

Today she said I was right about the amount of pasture we have. I was suspicious and as it turned out rightly so. The farm that adjoins ours is going to be sold. She found out last night. We meet with the owners tomorrow. Actually I am happy about this as they have some really good pasture land and a big shop. The wife told me how great it would be for me to have more room for my shop!!

So if the owners aren't over greedy about the price it looks like I will have more space for tools......and horses.......
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

What is dirt going for there an acre?

Comment

Congrats, even if it's expensive and a pinch as its on your door it would be more expensive not to, at least you know your new neighbour!
      You only get one chance at stuff like that, good luck
      Mark

Comment

Good luck with the negotiations. Have no advice to offer. Figure it is two horse traders doing business ... will be an interesting contest ... though both will appreciate a low stress deal getting done.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
          Too much! We are very close to the Swiss border and the city of Basel, Switzerland. The Swiss jobs pay at least 1/3 more than German jobs so lots of people live in our area to work in Switzerland. That drives the cost of housing up considerably. The only saving grace in our case is a farm in most cases has to be sold to a farmer. It can not be bought and broken up into lots for housing. So farm land stays somewhat immune to the housing prices.

I don't know exactly what I am looking at price wise on this farm.
          How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Is it possible to amalgamate the new farm with yours and sell its house separately (keeping all buildings suitable for workshop/stock/barn use)?

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
              Germans are far too clean to have dirt on their pasture and it goes by the metric hectare

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                Too much! We are very close to the Swiss border and the city of Basel, Switzerland. The Swiss jobs pay at least 1/3 more than German jobs so lots of people live in our area to work in Switzerland. That drives the cost of housing up considerably. The only saving grace in our case is a farm in most cases has to be sold to a farmer. It can not be bought and broken up into lots for housing. So farm land stays somewhat immune to the housing prices.

20000-30000 eur/ha?

Comment

are horses your primary business, or an interest?

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                    20000-30000 eur/ha?
                    to equate to here, that's about a million for a 100 acre farm. That's a lot of trail rides lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                      to equate to here, that's about a million for a 100 acre farm. That's a lot of trail rides lol
                      If I remember correctly farmland is crazy expensive in Germany but still cheaper than Holland for example. Investors throwing money now to farmland.
                      I can find more reliable fiqures for around here: Southern Finland 10keur/ha, central/northen Finland 5keur/ha. But its a bit more limited what we can grow here. Rye, potatoes or caraway.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                        ..... The only saving grace in our case is a farm in most cases has to be sold to a farmer. It can not be bought and broken up into lots for housing. So farm land stays somewhat immune to the housing prices.

Germans have more sense than stupid 'murcans..... Here, as you no doubt recall, you CAN'T sell a farm to a farmer, you HAVE to sell to a developer.... at least around cities. No "actual law", but pricing and taxes make it nearly a law in many places.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                          Germans have more sense than stupid 'murcans..... Here, as you no doubt recall, you CAN'T sell a farm to a farmer, you HAVE to sell to a developer.... at least around cities. No "actual law", but pricing and taxes make it nearly a law in many places.
                          You mispelled "Greed". Developers make more money in the short term, so they can pay higher prices. Farmers can live out their lives in comfort on what the developers will pay. Simple greed.
                          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                            You mispelled "Greed". Developers make more money in the short term, so they can pay higher prices. Farmers can live out their lives in comfort on what the developers will pay. Simple greed.
                            sure. I know a farmer, well, my mom does, who a year ago sold the farm for $200MM to a developer. If it was yours, would have sold it for $200MM, or 1/2MM to another farmer? Tell the truth. Greed is pejorative remark we us when judging others....but all of us tend to act in our own economic best interests. Need someone to blame? blame the government for continual population growth policies and allowing the zoning change.

Comment

If you dont mind the commute here are three and a bit hectares for about 108K euros.
                              http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...1235213280.htm

(Seems a bit expensive to me.)

Comment

Working...
                              X