Visiting HSM members, Great Topic Tundra Twin Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting HSM members, Great Topic Tundra Twin Track

I've been meaning to post about my first time meeting with HSM members but Tundra Twin beat me to it.

For years I've wanted to take the time when traveling to meet other HSM members. So I decided to start in 2017 while visiting our new grandson in Seattle. In January I met lakeside53, stepside and jkopel in that order. Jkopel has been inactive on HSM for several years but the story of his kindness and help needs to be told.

First, jkopel and I both have Tree milling machines which is what got us talking in the beginning. So in late 2016 when I knew I was going to be in Seattle I contacted him to see if he wanted to meet, and he did. We didn't set a time because both of us had things going on. He was working and I was finishing the baby crib/youth bed I built for my grandson. I also contacted lakeside53 and stepside and both invited me to their shop which was quite a thrill for me.

I had a great time seeing their shops, machines, current and past projects and their tooling. Both were gracious hosts and I look forward to visiting them again.

What happened with jkopel and I was a bit different. As it turned out when he was free, I had something going on or it was too late in the evening to try and meet. I was in N. Seattle and he lived South of Seattle so it looked like we wouldn't get a chance to meet.

So backing up about 12 days the 700 lb crate that the crib is in arrives and I start putting it together (except for the headboard). I have all the changing table parts cut out but not finished. So I'm busy working on the crib/youth bed I get it done 4 days before I'm due to fly back to Alaska. The babies room is on the 3rd floor of the town house and the crib is in the garage. So movers were hired to move it to the babies room. Turned out they couldn't get it up the stairs to the second floor. So I had to disassemble the entire bed haul it up the stairs and reassemble it. You will see why this was such a big deal in a moment.

Everything was going fine until I destroyed one of the sleeves for the folding crib rail latch late in the afternoon the day before I was suppose to leave. I was going to try and visit jkopel that evening but I had to figure out a way to fix the crib. So I called him to explain I wouldn't be able to make it this trip and I explained what I had done and that I was frantically shopping for sleeve material. He suggested I come over to his shop and build one. He had plenty of material on hand and the machines to do just about any operation.

So I went to his shop that evening. We visited awhile then he made me a new sleeve and sent me on my way as his dinner was getting cold. Jkopel also post on PM as jkopel. He's a great guy with a big heart, thanks Josh.

Photos of the crib/youth bed. It's a crib now but turns into a single bed later on. There are 6 drawers in the base and two in the changing table. White and red oak, 4 months to build. This was my second one, the first one I built 32 years ago.

In June I visited metalmagpie at his shop and had a great time telling stories and looking at his cool machines and projects. Thanks metalmagpie.

Last edited by nc5a; 06-18-2017, 03:40 AM.

Excellent baby prison.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_r View Post
      Excellent baby prison.
      Does it convert to a single cell (single bed) as the youthful offender grows up?

Comment

Yep.. nice to see other members. Always amazes me how different face-to-face is than the image you build of the online-only persona.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
          Yep.. nice to see other members. Always amazes me how different face-to-face is than the image you build of the online-only persona.
          Several years ago I was fortunate enough to meet the legendary Sir John, my wife and I spent an afternoon at his place before going to the pub for dinner and drinks with him.
          Amazing man, but his accent is filtered out of his posts far more than in person. Between my diminished hearing and his accent I felt almost stupid.

I have also met several California members, and a few Oregonians. All very pleasant people. Oh, I met a bunch in Michigan, and Forrest too!

Steve

Comment

Having an "accent" myself, I can fully understand. In Sir John's case my grandfather was from his area, so no problem there! Now.. from some southern parts of USA... thank goodness they can type "English"

For some weird reason I had imagined Forrest as a short closely shaven guy. LOL He's more like a wonderfully smart and totally human Mountain man!
            Last edited by lakeside53; 06-18-2017, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
              Having an "accent" myself, I can fully understand. In Sir John's case my grandfather was from his area, so no problem there! Now.. from some southern parts of USA... thank goodness they can type "English"

For some weird reason I had imagined Forrest as a short closely shaven guy. LOL He's more like a wonderfully smart and totally human Mountain man!
              I can honestly say that none of the HSM members I've met looked anything like I imagined they would. Lakeside53 for instance was supposed to be short, round with thinning hair and wear glasses, he is anything but.

One of these days I would like to meet Forrest. I read with great interest all his Third Hand Articles in HSM magazine. Before I saw a photo of him I imagined Forrest to be tall, very thin, bald, wearing little round spectacles and clean shaven, again I wasn't even close.

Ron

Comment

A very nice bit of wood bashing, I notice plenty of no8 welding rods in it, my latest toy is a pocket hole thing, they are great by the way, especially since they sell packs of plugs, I've developed a fetish (well another one) for light wood and dark plugs or dark wood with light plugs, looks nice to me.
                I've spent my life with steel, literally in my case as I used to make the stuff, according to my notebooks which were fairly accurate 5 million tons till I went to work in the lab, I preferred the lab, found out too late I suppose. Wood has been a relatively new expirience, it's great, I didn't know how much fun it was.
                It is nice to meet the person behind the words, Glad you enjoyed yourself.
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                  ... I've developed a fetish (well another one) for light wood and dark plugs or dark wood with light plugs, looks nice to me.
                  That's not a fetish, that's a smart finishing technique. Plugs that are close but different enough in color to still be visible look terrible in my opinion.
                  They make the statement that the builder lacked the skill to hide the plugs. My preference when practical is to take the approach you described.
                  By using a contrasting color to call attention to the plug, it makes the statement that the builder intended to add a decorative detail there.

Comment

Working...
                  X