How to machine this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to machine this?

I'm somewhat of a beginner to machining so I don't know all of the methods to accomplish certain operations. I would like to machine the example below out of aluminum. I have a Maximat Mentor and a BP etc. I haven't a clue how to machine the 'angle'? I have 3D printed what I need in PLA and it works fine but would rather have it in aluminum. Suggestions are more than welcome and thanks in advance.

-SD:

Last edited by Smokedaddy; 06-19-2017, 01:53 PM.

In a nutshell- Set the compound for half the desired angle. Lock the carriage and feed the tool with compound's feed handle.

YouTube probably has the old SouthBend film for taper cutting.

Search YouTube the user: college machinist. They have a bunch a videos from DoAll. One of them is on taper turning.

Comment

Smokedaddy: We need a little more info like pictures of a different view. Are you wanting to create another part like you have in your hand? If so, we need some info on the hole in the center. is it tapered or straight? What is the stock you will use to make the part from? Do you know what the taper on the outside of the original part is? What is the thing in the second picture? Lots of questions.

Sarge

Comment

This is just a guess, but it looks like he wants to machine an adapter from what might be a microscope

with photographic abilities to what looks like a light diffuser.
        VitŮŽria, Brazil

Comment

As the original posting mentioned I want to machine this out of aluminum. The ONLY thing I don't know HOW to do (like machine, setup the lathe etc.) is the ANGLE that I am pointing to with the RED arrow in the crummy drawing. The second pic is nothing more than the TOP view and the last image a side view of it installed. I know how to machine EVERYTHING 'except' the angle, regardless of what the angle is.

-SD:

Comment

Smokedaddy, The instructions from 9lx-notch were how to do it on the lathe.

The compound can be unlocked and set at any angle you want, then locked at that angle. Then you can use the compound feed screw move the compound in and out at an angle so that you make a tapered cut.

You need to clear out the area to the left of the taper in order to leave clearance for the cutter.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Search youtube for "Joe Pieczynski Setting the lathe compound to precision angles." He describes a very accurate way to guarantee a precise angle when turning a taper like what you are looking to do. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 90LX_Notch View Post
                In a nutshell- Set the compound for half the desired angle. Lock the carriage and feed the tool with compound's feed handle.
                Thanks, I didn't know the terminology. I haven't tried it yet but that looks like the solution.

-SD:

Comment

Turn the part in your lathe. Rotate the compound to the angle of the taper and use the knob on the compound to feed the cutter.
                  Adjust the carriage and cross feed to get the tool bit in the correct location for a cut, but feed only using the compound.

Comment

The most common approach will be to turn it in the lathe and use the compound. As an exercise, let's say his compound is broken. What other approaches can we think of?

1) Turn a series of gradually diameters every fraction of an inch so that the taper is approximated as a series of steps. Then file to smooth shape.
                    1a) PITA and filing accurately can be tricky.
                    2) Set a square nose cutting tool to the right angle, and take a series of cuts to make the correct angle.
                    2a) another PITA, and using a square nose cutter as a form tool may very well lead to chatter
                    3) If you have a spin indexer, you could mount the spin indexer on the BP table, set it at the right angle, and make a lot of facet cuts... file to smooth shape.
                    3a) He probably doesn't have a spin indexer, and I can see some problems with rigidity of set up

Comment

SD

If we had some dimensions it would help. Also for the lathe 3-Jaw, 4Jaw, Collet that would work with the smaller diameter? Also what are critical features and what are cosmetic?

Pete

Comment

Like I said in the beginning, I just didn't know how to machine the ANGLE. The cylinder part is about 25mm in diameter and 19mm in length and varies. The angle is around 36 degrees. Profile is:

-SD:
                        Last edited by Smokedaddy; 06-19-2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

If your compound works, that will be the easiest. It looks like the exact angle is not critical, but setting it precisely this time will be good practice for later. As mentioned earlier, select your tool shape to not interfere with the cylinder diameter.
                          North Central Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by mbucklew11 View Post
                            Search youtube for "Joe Pieczynski Setting the lathe compound to precision angles." He describes a very accurate way to guarantee a precise angle when turning a taper like what you are looking to do. Good luck!

Do you know what the magnetic indicator asembly 'holder' is called that he attached to the tool post? I couldn't read the stamped name on it, something like ... ceneral 387.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCllVu4K738

Thanks,
                            -JW:

Comment

No, I don't know what the name is. If you message him or send him an email, I think he would likely respond. He owns Advanced Inovations in Austin Texas. You can find his contact info with a quick Google search.

Comment

Working...
                              X