O.T. sea kayak propulsion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. sea kayak propulsion

Just got off the phone with this gurl I know from alaska and she told me about this "mechanism" for propelling sea kayaks so told her id check it out on line because what she was describing was interesting to say the least,,,

I have to say pretty ingenious because the pitch is not only variable with how fast you pedal - it's automatically variable throughout the length of the fins and "self adjust" for loading - takes more of a purchase close in where the fin speed is minimal and less further out to match,,,

https://youtu.be/vRM8ZNDdWsQ

Those have been available for about 20 years now. They are pretty slick

Randy
    Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

Im whitewater so never seen them - we would rip them off in the first set of rapids lol

still amazing - someone was thinking outside the box with this one - she told me they mimic seal propulsion, maybe not the best thing for attracting great whites and killer wales to your yak though ?

Comment

That would be great with an electric motor to drive it

Comment

but where's the fun in that? so you pedal but have to calculate and replenish your carbs in beer, now that's good fun.

Comment

Electric motor, bah. With the reciprocation action of the pedals it's a natural for a steam powered kayak. Who's going to be first with photos?
            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
              Electric motor, bah. With the reciprocation action of the pedals it's a natural for a steam powered kayak. Who's going to be first with photos?
              I assumed everyone knew you had to generate the electricity using a steam engine...

Comment

Geeze --- try to advance the species a little and get a bunch of comments from all kinds of coal shoveler's

god forbid anyone gets any exercise out there...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                  how do you think the coal gets in the boiler?

Comment

Hobart (Hobie) Alter is the name of the genius who is behind those fins. He started in 1950 building surfboards and invented the polyurthane covered foam board. He also developed the Hobie Cat sailboat and lots of other things
                    I have a neighbor in Florida that has a kayak with Hobie fins.
                    I see her scooting up and down our canal faster than any of the paddle propelled kayaks and she is 5'2" tall and 80 years old.
                    That system is very innovative.
                    Bill
                    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                      Geeze --- try to advance the species a little and get a bunch of comments from all kinds of coal shoveler's [emoji14]

There's a thought. A coal fired steam engine. Take that, Al Gore.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X