Aviation hydraulic pump/motor unit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aviation hydraulic pump/motor unit question

Friend of mine just dropped a 24v Bendix aviation hydraulic pump, old(read heavy) but brand new(!). Out put is 600psi.

I would like to use this to power a small hydraulic scissor lift on a 36vdc Taylor Dunn industrial cart. I need to raise a 4 legged tray roughly 4' by 6' off the ground 4-6". Weight is minor at @300lbs.

My questions.
    Can I run this at 36 vdc very intermittently?

My batteries are (6) 6vdc Trojan 105 lead acid. Charger is for 36 vdc. I don't think I should run this off 4 of the 6 batteries to get my 24v.

I have a rheostat motor speed control for a 36vdc motor that had 5 speeds and was wondering if I could use some of the coils in series with the 24v motor and run it 36vdc.

Need some guidance as to best method.

Thanks,
    Abner

edit. Motor does not say 24vdc just 24v. I'm assuming 24vdc. Looks like a large vehicle starter motor. Correct here?
    Last edited by Abner; 06-19-2017, 11:15 PM.

Most A/C systems run 28VDC with generators/alternators operating, so your 36 is not too much more than that. If you have a rheostat that will control a 36V motor, why not find a "close to 24/28V" setting and use that? Amps on load will be your limiting factor, if it's as large as the ones I've seen, (type 389) you could be looking at quite a big current draw.

Comment

Although the voltage is higher than ideal I expect the motor will draw current according to the load so if the load is light you will likely be OK. Stalling the motor might cause a sudden smoke release!

Comment

600 psi...

Comment

I was going to say the same thing 600 psi ??

Comment

Design parameters for hydraulic pumps involve horsepower (HP), flow rate (GPM), and pressure (PSI). They are interrelated.

HP = GPM X PSI X .0007

All you are saying you have is max PSI. Whether or not your available voltage will work with this pump, you need to think about how well it will work in your application. If it takes the pump 10 minutes to raise the table two inches is that OK with you? If it blasts the table bottom to top in half a second?

metalmagpie

Comment

[QUOTE=Abner;1122250]Friend of mine just dropped a 24v Bendix aviation hydraulic pump, old(read heavy) but brand new(!). Out put is 600psi.

My batteries are (6) 6vdc Trojan 105 lead acid. Charger is for 36 vdc. I don't think I should run this off 4 of the 6 batteries to get my 24v.

Why not? That's what some of the auto companies do with their hybrid vehicles. Hyundai comes to mind. They tap their high voltage Lithium Ion battery packs for 12 volts for HVAC and Infotainment systems.

Comment

[QUOTE=Frank K;1123367]
                Originally posted by Abner View Post
                Friend of mine just dropped a 24v Bendix aviation hydraulic pump, old(read heavy) but brand new(!). Out put is 600psi.

Why not? That's what some of the auto companies do with their hybrid vehicles. Hyundai comes to mind. They tap their high voltage Lithium Ion battery packs for 12 volts for HVAC and Infotainment systems.
                Its bit more complicated than that. If you put any serious load on just part of the series battery string it will end up unbalanced and you need at minimum to charge the most drained battery separately. Not good if you want to use the original 36v charger.
                If the unbalanced load is very light like maybe 5% of the total consumed amp-hours you can get away with it.

Hybrid vehicles utilize dc-dc converters to discharge the whole battery.

And like others were giving hints, 600 psi is going to be very weak on any normal scissor lift.

Comment

Working...
                X