Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new tool for me!

Hi group,

Got this new tool today off of craigslist and was wondering if anyone has one and can share their experiences with the equipment. I'm not looking at production here, just HSM work and since it was a good price (180.00) I won't have to make the individual equipment that I had planned long term to do, it is all in one and ready to go.
    OK let the flames and such fly.
    If you have any real concerns or recommendations on improvements let me know.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

The proof will be in the pudding- will it cut cleanly- . I'm leery of the claims of 18 ga and 40 inch. Chances are it will not do both at the same time. You might be able to bend 18 ga at 20 inches wide, and perhaps 20 or 22 ga at the full width. If I'm wrong and you can bend 18 ga at the full width, then you have a decent machine there.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Looks like the widely sold import three in one sheet metal machine. I used one like it, Grizzly brand and it worked OK for aluminum. I did not do much steel. You may be limited to a thinner gauge for it.

As for cutting the 40" width, the blade on the Grizzly was at a small angle so it was only cutting about 1-2 inches at a time. It was no more difficult to cut a 36" wide sheet than it was to cut one that was 6" wide. It just took a longer stroke. I never tried bending anything over about 24" wide, but it worked OK for that.

One of the first accessories I made for it was a full width tray that slid under the cutters. That way, it would catch the cuttings and slide out to the front so I could easily reach them. After it was in use for some time, it also provided an excellent source of small pieces for this and that.

Nice find. Have fun.
      Paul A.

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Had one at a place I worked.

I was the only one who could make it work right and bend to correct size. Never used the rollers, but the shear worked OK.

You will have to do a fair bit of setup and general "fettling" to make it work decently, but it will work. Yes, it is for thinner material, don't try any stainless on it. Did plenty of steel up to about 18 ga. Not big pieces, it won't bend big pieces of 18 ga, but it WILL do smaller ones.

Cutting, similar. You will have to adjust that as well, but when adjusted it is a decent shear.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

No flames from here. Good find, and not a bad price at nearly half of what they are going for new. I'd have one if I had the space for it. It would be a handy gadget to have around.
          “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

That's how stomp shears work too just cutting across from one side to the other. You did Great IMHO! The 30" is on sale for $400 & yours is a 40" so YOU SUCK in a good way of course!
            Last edited by flylo; 06-21-2017, 03:59 AM.
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

I have the 30" model. I found it rolls and bends sheet metal reasonably well but not what I would call really great as it takes a bit of futzing about to get a decent result which has never been a problem for the one off projects I've done with it. I could never get it to shear at rated capacity (or even close) and I blame that on user error. All in all at the price you paid for it it's a good buy and I hope yours works better for you than mine did for me.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                That's how stomp shears work too just cutting across from one side to the other. You did Great IMHO! The 30" is on sale for $400 & yours is a 40" so YOU SUCK in a good way of course!
                I didn't pay attention to the 40" size. HF doesn't sell that one any more, so it's an even better deal than I first thought.
                “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

I used to work in a huge sawmill and they bought one of those for the maintenance mechanics to use on the occasional piece of sheet metal guarding and similar stuff. It was quickly used on something too heavy, broke in a couple places, and was tossed in the scrap metal dumpster. I could have salvaged it for free and possibly patched it up but decided to pass. Just don't over stress it.

Comment

We had one in a 30 inch size I think it was. Someone tried to bend some .075 or similar in the break portion. he not only bent the rectangular bar of the handle but also spread the sides of the gutter portion of the bending break.

Stick with thin stock and you'll love it. But I'd say that they are not very tolerant of being pushed past their rather modest limits.

Comment

I had one just like it years ago. Frankly it sucked. The shear was especially lame however if you work in light easily sheared materials it will work or tinsmith projects. 20 gage capacity? Maybe rolling and braking but my experience was 24 max for the shear and then only if you adjust the shear for zero clearance..

Comment

Hi Gang,

Thanks for the input. I plan on working it over, first clean it up and then tune it to the best possible function. I don't expect to use it on 18ga as it's rating states. I'm looking at 22, 24ga and some aluminium in future projects should I get to them.
                        I appreciate the frank offerings about it's limitations, I kind of figured that when looking at it.

TX
                        Mr fixit for the family
                        Chris

Comment

I have had the 30" model for many years and it has been a very handy piece of equipment. I worked it over as soon as I got it home, 'tuned' it up, made a few mods and it has given me zero trouble. It does a terrific job when kept within its capacity.

Comment

Working...
                          X