No announcement yet.

Nut will not stay on the bolt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the video again, and there is a spring inside the bolt that connects to the battery. Thus, the current will flow through the helix, and its magnetic field will be along the axis of the bolt. The permanent magnet is applied at 90 degrees to the axis. Thus (I think) there will be a force acting on the conductive nut. But I'm not sure if it is acting as rotational torque, or linearly along the axis of the bolt.

It is possible that the magnet operates a reed switch to conserve battery life when not being used. Thus the current would produce two orthagonal magnetic fields producing torque on the nut equally along the length of the thread.
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

What's the purpose of the spacer?
      Mike
      WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
        What's the purpose of the spacer?
        I think it is to push the false head of the bolt off for maintenance.

Thanks for posting this OT Max. I found them for 1.99 shipped on Amazon and know a couple of folks who will really enjoy them.

Comment

Thanks Joel, it makes sense.
          Mike
          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
            I think it is to push the false head of the bolt off for maintenance.

Thanks for posting this OT Max. I found them for 1.99 shipped on Amazon and know a couple of folks who will really enjoy them.
            Great looking trick. Joel, what was the amazon item number. The one I found was about 10 bucks
            Thanks
            John Burchett
            in Byng OK

Comment

Originally posted by kc5ezc View Post
              Great looking trick. Joel, what was the amazon item number. The one I found was about 10 bucks
              Thanks
              ]

Found it! My google fu on amazon is corroded. Found it a few minutes after I posted.
              John Burchett
              in Byng OK

Comment

It's available for about $4 from:
                https://www.banggood.com/Nut-Off-Bol...l?rmmds=search

The reviews seem to indicate that there is a motor in it, and it's rather loud, so the pager vibrator is probably the trick.
                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by kc5ezc View Post
                  Thanks
                  Just search "magic bolt"on Amazon and you'll find quite a few, including the $1.99 version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Update:
                    Device was delayed through customs and came with a sticker "Goods not Fulfilling the conditions laid down in articles 28 & 29 of the treaty on functioning E.U."
                    Device is made in China and a Knock off of a device first made by Kreis of Japan.
                    It comes with a password for the Kreis website that advises it is bogus item that is no longer produced by them.
                    As to the device, it works pretty slick and is well made, the vibration mentioned is only experienced by the holder and not heard, at least on mine.
                    The battery has to be inserted in the head with the correct polarity.
                    I believe the result is of a kind of Faraday effect, just a variation of it.
                    Max.

Comment

My 1.99 version already made it here from China. The fit and finish are quite good - definitely better than expected, and all of the parts are made from brass.

I am about half deaf, but in a quiet room I can hear it. Holding it by the head and not the shank makes it somewhat quieter, but with no ambient noise, I am sure it would be easily heard by young ears. However, with just a little distance and a little background noise, it shouldn't be a problem.
                      The (actually useful) instructions say "Putting the magnet close to the head of the bolt makes the switch turn on and the vibration motor starts moving. This vibrates the bolt and consequently the nut comes off."

It spins the nut rapidly and covers an inch in about 3 seconds (M6-1.0).
                      We live in a magical world - how something as complicated as this can be manufactured and delivered to my door for 2 bucks (brass, with 2 batteries, tape and a super magnet) is beyond me.

Comment

of course, the item was assembled as piecework by some family on the kitchen table, who were paid almost nothing per unit....... Which is one reason it sells for $1.99....
                        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Working...
                        X