Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free to a good home

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Free to a good home

    Part of some sort of grinding or sharpening jig. I don't have any of the other parts, just this that I got in a box of assorted scrap metal. Everything else I know about it is here:

    https://www.google.com/patents/US3145512

    Free if anyone wants it. Pick up or cover shipping cost and this wonderful thing is yours.








    Last edited by alanganes; 06-24-2017, 11:52 PM. Reason: spelling, additional info

  • #2
    Sorry for crashing this but just seemed like the right place to post this pic...


    Comment


    • #3
      Hey alanganes, that is a great thing to do, good on you, someone has been looking for that, nice name tag. The bandsaw comes with right? JR
      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

      https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

      Comment


      • #4
        You couldn't have posted this two weeks ago?
        Recently welded up something similar for sharpening plane irons, could have saved myself a bit of time

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
          Sorry for crashing this but just seemed like the right place to post this pic...



          So which one are you giving away? The slightly used pillow or the dog? Me I will take the grill!
          How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

          Comment


          • #6
            Hey, I know this is a long shot, but this is a creative bunch here. You can never know what amazing thing someone will see in another guys scrap. I figured I'd try before retiring this to the scrap guy.

            And JR, nobody is taking my bandsaw, it's one of my best friends.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
              So which one are you giving away? The slightly used pillow or the dog? Me I will take the grill!
              Slightly used pillow - that's a good one lol

              I could not ever give her up she's an amazing dog - but what a little stinker too,,, I had just got done scolding her some about it but make no mistake was holding back the snickering while trying to take that pic... upon first sight I thought we had a very isolated snow storm in the middle of june lol

              she's strategically smart I will give her that - tear up a pair of shoes so Pops has to leave the house to go shoe shopping - then score the futon cushion...

              Comment


              • #8
                Recreating many of the parts, you'd have this: https://patents.google.com/patent/US3145512A/en
                Not intended for plane irons.....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                  Recreating many of the parts, you'd have this: https://patents.google.com/patent/US3145512A/en
                  Not intended for plane irons.....
                  I did see that patent and decided that I didn't have the need to reproduce all those parts, as I have other ways to sharpen round stuff on my T&C grinder. I doubt anyone else would go to the trouble either. I more figured someone might see this as a jumping off point for some other gadget they might want to create. More than likely it's just scrap and that's fine. I just like to give things like this a last chance before the scrapyard. Lots of creative and imaginative types around here

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by alanganes View Post
                    I did see that patent and decided that I didn't have the need to reproduce all those parts, as I have other ways to sharpen round stuff on my T&C grinder. I doubt anyone else would go to the trouble either. I more figured someone might see this as a jumping off point for some other gadget they might want to create. More than likely it's just scrap and that's fine. I just like to give things like this a last chance before the scrapyard. Lots of creative and imaginative types around here
                    'cept a circular form cutter isn't sharpened on the round part, the edge. A jig is necessary to maintain the cutting face. Automatic screw machines still are alive in industry and compete or beat CNC on certain part runs. A shame to scrap it when scrap steel cast is just about worthless. What's it weigh?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You can tell by the look on the dog, it's saying; "the neighbor did it".

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                        'cept a circular form cutter isn't sharpened on the round part, the edge. A jig is necessary to maintain the cutting face. Automatic screw machines still are alive in industry and compete or beat CNC on certain part runs. A shame to scrap it when scrap steel cast is just about worthless. What's it weigh?
                        I was speaking casually, but I get that one grinds circular form cutters on the faces. The T&C will do that too with the right fixtures. In any case, this weighs about 7 pounds and easily fits in a medium flat rate box. If you want AK's dog as part of the deal, shipping is significantly higher.

                        I know it's pretty much valueless as scrap but I only have so much room here and am trying to divest of stuff I don't need or want. I only scrap stuff like this as a way of keeping it out of the landfill really. Most of the time, I build up a smallish pile of scrap and then just give it to one of the local scrap trawlers that cruise the neighborhood around trash day. It always makes them happy.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Herr Forest have you been at the sheep shearing again ? Or has one of your flock fallen into a giant waste chewing chopper machine, and had it's fleece removed with a machine of your own design? This time if correct you have won a watch with this very effective design lol. Meant in brotherly friendship since we are long since old pals lol Alistair
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think that chunk of iron could become a very nice angle plate with a bit of work put in it. Maybe make a good weekend project.
                            12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
                            Logan 825 - work in progress
                            My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
                            Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
                            Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by engineerd3d View Post
                              I think that chunk of iron could become a very nice angle plate with a bit of work put in it. Maybe make a good weekend project.
                              Just a bit of imagination and you can see the possibilities. As stated above, yours for the cost of postage!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X