What a way to start the day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a way to start the day!

Woke up @ 5:30 to a dead month old B&D coffee maker. Bought something from a guy on another forum & the seller wanted a money order & Pmed me he was leaving on vacation Thurs so I asked if I could paypal him, no reply so went to the bank to make a deposit & get a bank MO. Truck wouldn't start in the bank drive thru & I'm trapped between the vacuum tube boxes on each side of the truck. Left my phone at home so asked the teller to call the parts store & Rodger jumped the truck, loose battery terminal. Stopped at McDonalds for 4 large coffees & was rear ended while in line. Didn't hurt the truck but the hitch did wonders for the front of the car the young lady was driving, not even an I'm sorry. Got home & had a reply the guy would take paypal so I called the post office & they'll pick out the MO & deliver it tuesday. Pay paled the seller. Nice to live near a small town. Tomorrow will be GREAT!

way to get all the crappy stuff that's supposed to happen to you over a whole year all done in one day.

Comment

I always have a back up coffee maker sitting in the pantry in case my good one goes out. Learned this lesson the hard way.

About ten years ago we had a huge snowstorm and I was pretty much confined to the house till the plows came through which was two days later. I was off work anyway and I had plenty of food in the house and lots of work in the shop so as the old song goes ... "Let is snow, let it snow, let it snow..." Anyway, even though the coffee maker was fine I was out of coffee. So who cares, I thought. Well about mid-day I started getting a headache. Popped a pill, no results, headache getting worse. Popped another pill couple hours later and took a nap (this always works). Not this time. Woke up and my head was throbbing. Could this be the result of unnoticed fumes in the shop from machining? Maybe, but it had never happened before. So I started wondering what was different today besides the snowstorm which might have caused the headache and after long deliberation I realized I hadn't had any coffee (caffeine). But I did have tea which contains caffeine so I brewed a large cup of tea with five teabags in it. Headache gone in fifteen minutes. Later I learned about caffeine withdrawl symptoms. Didn't have a clue before.

Now I always have a new, very cheap, second coffee maker on standby and make sure I have a reserve of coffee as well. Have had coffee makers suddenly go out since then twice but I was prepared to just plug in the standby and no worries.

EDIT: And, have you ever noticed that the lawnmower always goes out when the grass is very high? Well, stands to reason - who goes to cut their grass when it's short. I got a back up one of those as well
      Last edited by DATo; 06-27-2017, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I noticed any "ine" tends to have a detrimental effect, caffeine, morphine, codine, nicotine, amphetamine, benzodiazepine, OK all the good stuff gives you a nightmare but I guess there are more people addicted to good old coffee than anything else, gives you a hell of a headache dropping it from your diet, I don't drink much of it, virtually none, now I get a headache when I drink it, can't win
        Mark

Comment

I only drink 3 cups a day, 64 oz cups. I have coffee close day & night.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
            I only drink 3 cups a day, 64 oz cups. I have coffee close day & night.
            Me too! I have coffee makers all over our place. I have a good super automatic Krupps in my office. A coffee vending machine in the barn. Of course a coffee maker in the downstairs kitchen and in the upstairs kitchen and one in my shop. So I am covered no matter where I go.

Coffee clams me down. It has to do with the caffeine being a stimulant and how that works with my ADD the same as Ridilin which is a stimulant also.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
              ...Coffee clams me down. It has to do with the caffeine being a stimulant and how that works with my ADD the same as Ridilin which is a stimulant also.
              Same thing here, but I limit my intake because it's also a diuretic, and I'm prone to kidney stones if I let myself get dehydrated.

Comment

Wow, what a day!

The rest of the year should be smooth sailing.

Comment

You need a machine! What happened to the old wild west America I saw in films where you just throw some beans in a can on an open fire?

Comment

I think my wife threw it away.

Comment

Wow flylo, that's a rough morning! Hope it's a good one tomorrow.

I feel fortunate to have never aquired a taste for coffee; can't stand it, the stuff tastes like burnt lima beans to me. I certainly understand the caffeine thing though, as I did learn to like strong black tea growing up overseas, and occasionally have a Coke which is probably worse for me than a whole pot of coffee.

When I was pretty young (elementary school age) my grandparents came to visit, and for whatever reason my parents decided to wean them off of coffee. Apparently "wean" meant cold turkey in that case; we had some really grumpy and miserable grandparents for 4-5 days, but they did quit, and haven't drunk coffee again since. They're both in their 90's now, we still laugh about the coffee weaning but they are grateful.

Comment

I have a Chemex Coffee pot. Looks like an Erlenmeyer (sp?) flask. It's very popular among Hollywood set designers who like to give the scene a "sciencey" look. Kind of pricey new but wifey found this one at Goodwill for 50 cents. Just put the filter in the top , add grounds and pour in boiling water. Rest of the work is done by gravity. No parts to break down. Works every time. A good backup unit for those who still like the machines.
                        Fred Townroe

Comment

We have a coffee press that works well, where ever it is.

Comment

My wife and I don't drink that cr&p, but we can't remember what we could use a percolator for. Saw something several months ago that we could use one for but have forgotten what. Was out flea marketing today but no percolators found.
                            North Central Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                            X