No announcement yet.

18 Minutes of metalworking artistry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just be sure you don't find more eggs than you hid. That happened to us one year. My wife hid two dozen eggs and the kids found 25. It took a bit of searching to find the one that was a year old. And that was in our den, not outside.

Originally posted by DATo View Post
    Watched the video (which seemed vaguely familiar) and read all the posts before it occurred to me that I was the one who posted this video two years ago. I'm getting very old. This weekend I plan on hiding my own Easter eggs.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by DATo View Post
      This weekend I plan on hiding my own Easter eggs.
      that made me laugh

Comment

Did he really hit the punch with a flatter? It went by so fast I didn't get a good look at it even going back and trying to stop it at the right point. But it looked like one.
        4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

OT from the artistry

I have spent some time with a machete in hand, and find the tool very flexible and effective. I can not see an application for the Bowie knife that is not met with the machete. Now a K-Bar in hand is a different issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
            Thanks for the link. Yes I'm aware of the various cold blueing and blackening products available, I have some myself.
            What I was after was more along the lines of the soft gray effect that the Bernax 540 left on the steel shown in the video.
            Guggle really sucks these days, but I was able to find a model railroader blog in Dutch... Guggle's translation describes thusly:

BERNAX 540 from VéDé.
            I make the head of the rails dark with a metal stain, first a black-blue conductive oxide is formed.
            When rubbed in, the color becomes brownish-black.
            The effect is similar to wood stain: it is somewhat transparent, you can see the structure of the metal through it.

It is a toxic, blue liquid that is also used, among other things, to give weapons a dark color, but artists also use it to color their metal objects and you can also 'black' wheels with them.
            ...matches the description of dilute nitric acid

Comment

I think he is using a knife grinder, not a regular surface grinder. Look at travel length vs width.
              I think it was made to hold a long blade or blades in a fixture at an angle like planer blades. Or peeler knifes for making plywood.

If the head is tiltable, be very good for knife work..

Comment

It looks a lot like a Hanchett 38 knife grinder..

Comment

Working...
                X