Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bending & Rolling Machine

I came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEYuvKohrx0

(8 minutes, shows the Super Vulcain bending & rolling machine in use)

Looks like a nice versatile machine. But not $9,000 nice! So having thoughts about making something similar from the scrap laying around in my shop, can't be too difficult. Main difference would be that I wouldn't be using aluminium extrusions, just plain old welded steel.

Anyone have something similar?

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

check out the gingery book store. also your old-time book store.

Comment

I would really think twice before acquiring a machine like that. Do you do a lot of twisting, scroll work, etc? And are trying to improve your productivity? Well then maybe. But in a normal home shop having a thing like that bolted to the floor out in the middle of the room - well, let's just say it isn't very space efficient.

metalmagpie

Comment

Grossly overpriced!
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

At that price it should have hydraulics to do all the work and a month's worth of bar stock.
          North Central Arkansas

Comment

Hossfeld. Bought ours off Ebay, paid $850 + $250 shipping. Came with a few more dies than we needed, So I sold off what we didn't need for really cheap prices like 25% of new to get rid of them quick. Only got $2800 for the extra dies!

Comment

A Hossfeld isn't going to twist pickets like that machine or do it with repeatability. $9000 may be a lot for a compact multi function machine. How many prototypes do you think they made tested and scraped before coming up with that version? For a small fence, railing and gate maker, it would be a money maker.

Comment

Don't worry - I'm not planning handing over that kind of cash for the machine. Knock a couple of zeroes off, and that's about the max I'd spend on making my own. I'm from Yorkshire, don't forget.

I just thought it was a nice design though.

Ian
                All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                  A Hossfeld isn't going to twist pickets like that machine or do it with repeatability. $9000 may be a lot for a compact multi function machine. How many prototypes do you think they made tested and scraped before coming up with that version? For a small fence, railing and gate maker, it would be a money maker.
                  For what it does it is quite compact and efficient it seems to me. The price a company must sell a product for is usually a factor of 10:1 on cost to produce if they will stay in business. The cost of materials is a very small part of what it costs to produce a product. There is so much overhead involved that often gets overlooked by us HSM'S. We tend to just look and think, "Yeah, I could build that for a lot less."

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                  X