Tap Storage Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tap Storage Tip

Found these ice form trays and thought they would be great for my smaller taps.

Steve

My youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/MyShopNotes

I use a similar product for end mills. Great stuff at the kitchen store!!

Pete
    1973 SB 10K .
    BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Unless your drawers are very shallow, that wastes a lot of "drawer geography". :-) Vertical storage like this is more compact.

...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
        Unless your drawers are very shallow, that wastes a lot of "drawer geography". :-) Vertical storage like this is more compact.

...lew...
        I don't have the space in my thin drawers, nice setup you have there.
        Steve

My youtube:
        http://www.youtube.com/MyShopNotes

Comment

I like that tip and may look for similar trays.

I started using standard, plastic ice cube trays for small parts storage many decades ago when a local drug store had them on sale for $0.25. Yes, I remember the price from 50 years ago. I have dozens of them. For some of the "bins" I made small cardboard labels by cutting rectangles of it and bending them in half.

Last night I wanted to store some new taps I had bought, a set of three metric ones. I have been using left over pill bottles for storing my screw and nut collection so I grabbed one and dropped the taps in it. A bit wasteful of space, probably more wasteful than the ice cube trays, but the taps will stay together as a set and will be protected. I have a template in my CAD program to print labels for the pill bottle caps on precut adhesive sheets.

Oh, I use a pair of diagonal cutters to cut the lock feature off the pill bottles so I don't have to worry about that. Works great and I seem to have more pill bottles than I will ever use.

On the other hand, I have been thinking about a vertical stand like Lew's. Problem is, for some sizes I have a lot of extras that I purchased in batches for good prices. What would I do with a dozen taps in one size. Perhaps combine two of the methods, vertical storage for the taps that are in use and another method for the new stock ones. Right now my tap collection is a mess in the original storage/shipping packages which span a variety of sizes and shapes. On order at all: just hunt for the size you want.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

If you build a block like Lew, if you can find it UHMW works great , I use 1 1/2 uhmw like Lew setup, for my endmills, works great, and for my R8 tools.. I had a 1x6 wooden rack for my 1in shank endmlls, it got oilsoaked and ended up splitting. I scored a 4foot by 10inch by 1.5 cutting board from a hotel kitchen.

Another thing , when storing taps like the OP showed, when two are in one groove, I flip one..so its not flutes against flutes.
            Most of my taps are in one or two drawers in my Kennedy box for stuff to 1/2, i usually keep them in old plastic tap boxes you get when you buy taps in quantity, they hold from 3-8 taps usually.. Some have flip lids, some a sliding lid.
            My bigger and oddball were in a separate toolbox.
            Last edited by 754; 06-28-2017, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
              Problem is, for some sizes I have a lot of extras that I purchased in batches for good prices. What would I do with a dozen taps in one size..
              Well ghee whiz. What do you do with the "extra" drill bits you have. You don't, I hope, put them all in the same index. put them in small envelopes labeled with the size and in a box (like a filecard index). That is what I do with drill bits and Allen wrenches.:-)
              ...lew...

Comment

If you can find something similar to discontinued Ikea CD trays:

Comment

For me, the handiest arrangement is to use one of these...

http://www.penntoolco.com/tap-and-drill-stands/

to hold the tap, tap drill and clearance drill for the ones that are in use and store the extras and oddballs, of which I have many, in pill vials with the tap and tap drill data written in Sharpie on the lid.
                  Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                  http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

I like the Durham manufacturing plastic boxes. Enco (sniff) used to have them on sale with free shipping all the time. Many configurations, and you had option of getting metal cabinet for them. Still available at various outlets, but not nearly as cheap.

Comment

Working...
                    X