Wright bros. engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wright bros. engine

Anybody know of any plans or prints for any of the Wright engines?
    Thanks
    hms50
    hms

The Smithsonian Institution might know.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

www.strictlyic.com lists a Wright J5 among their plans. Available as back issues.

Comment

Not quite what you are after, but recently saw a book about the guy who built the original engine for the Wrights.
        "Charles E. Taylor, Wright Brothers Mechanician" by H R DuFour.
        I don't think it is widely available, but the following link will find it. (A good site, Aircraft Engine Historical Society).
        http://www.enginehistory.org/
        Go to their links page, you will find a link to Campbell Tool Company, who apparently sell this book. (Actually, they won't sell it to me, they won't even reply to my request, I think I live in the wrong part of the world! Strange how weird some businesses can be, you want to buy, they can't be bothered....)sorry about the moan, not your problem...

Comment

Thanks for the leads guy's. I'll let you know how I make out.
          hms50
          hms

Comment

hms50:
            There is an atrticle in the latest popular (mechanics or science) about the Wright brothers and the engine is in one photograph.
            Looks like it would be a neat project.

Comment

Thrud,
              We must read the same stuff! That article got me all excited! Did you check out the webpage they listed? On my third or forth visit, I noticed that they listed the E-mail address of a Mr. Cone, the very gifted machinist who restored the engine. As they invited questions, I asked about drawings. Will post if any are available and I can get them. Looking at that engine makes me wish I was already retired!
              hms50
              hms

Comment

hms50:

I never read the whole article. It was filler while waiting for the vet to weigh my cat (dropped from 22 to 14.5lbs). I thought the engine was cool - the model was too.

Comment

Thrud,
                  I hope your cat is ok,thats quite a weight drop. My minie-dauchund got up to 14 lbs and the vet restricted her diet and told me to take her on long walks.....
                  hms50
                  hms

Comment

hms50:
                    It been over quite a few months - the food I get from the vet costs more than mine! Smells better too. She has turned the flab to muscle and now has a beautiful shiney coat. Maine Coon - they sqeak instead of meowing.

My grandfather had a pure bred chiuahua (SP?) that looked like a mini Dolberman. He fed her Smarties as treats (bad grampa!) and she got so fat even her tail was fat. When she wagged her tail her whole butt went back and forth! She was always a happy little pooch - so that happened all the time. She got severe cancer and I had to have her put down.

Comment

Quite a few years ago I bought a set of prints for the J-5 engine along with the one
                      available casting from Samuel K. Hodgson,
                      3908 Greenbrier Dr., Dallas, Texas 75226,
                      Phone 214 361-6348. I don't know if that
                      address is valid any more but it is worth a
                      try. Not long ago I saw one of his ads but I
                      can't remember for the life of me where. I
                      think he had also developed plans for an 18
                      cyl. radial.

Comment

Here is the website for Lee Hodgson, has plans and castings for a range of radials and a Bentley rotary. I wonder if this is the same engine, DennisHal?

http://cincinnati.com/ageless/index.html

Comment

I think he is the son of Samuel Hodgson. I
                          seem to remember him mentioning his son working with him on these engines. The one
                          on his web site looks the same as mine. If
                          Sam is still around he would probably be in
                          his 90's now judging by the date on my catalog. I can tell you his casting for the
                          9 cyl. is about the best I have ever seen and
                          the prints were very thorough and included
                          many jigs needed to make some of the parts.

Comment

Working...
                          X