Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New chunk of tooling in the mail. D'andrea

Well an "i suck" gloat
    Took a chance in a boring head for a great price. From the ad it appeared incomplete. Luckily a bad pic and a great deal. Not a light piece of tooling. The head itself is around 50lbs. Next to fit it to my mill to see if I have to make a new collar.

Last edited by plastikosmd; 06-29-2017, 06:42 PM.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Very nice. Not just a boring but a boring and facing head. At 40 pounds it must be much larger than my Gamet boring and facing head. What's the body diameter (roughly)? Gonna use it on a Number 5 Cincinnati vertical mill? (insert smily here if I could make it work)
    David

Comment

What taper is the shank ?
      What taper is your mill?

Comment

40 taper for machine and head
        Will mount in my abene or my SWI cnc knee mill
        Diameter, maybe 8" or so?
        Box was 62 lbs and the tooling couldn't have been much more than 10-12 lbs?
        "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

Comment

Yep, You Suck!

Comment

sigh, si

but as big as it is, it will be a lot easier to use and mount the head to bore these idlers on the mill (rather than mounting up on the lathe and trying to hold/mount/center etc)
            Last edited by plastikosmd; 06-29-2017, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Looks like a robot having a sleep. With err... three legs.

Do you know who made it? Looks quite different from the more common boring & facing heads.

Comment

D'Andrea

I have heard good things about them, I like having the manual crank and accumulator dial

Comment

Just noticed you had it in the thread title. Very nice, I have heard good things about them too.

Comment

D'Andrea has always been one the top quality (and priced accordingly) tooling names.

Comment

What dies the hand crank part do ? Nice boring head.
                      Those idlers, Are they around 16-20 inch dia ?
                      You can bore them with a small boring head, but I suppose you are itching to use the new one..

Comment

The D'Andrea is a magnificent tool made in Italy.
                        Here is the basic unit, and in this case, a R 8 spindle mount for my Bridgeport.
                        Note the black collar behind the boring/facing head . This clamps on the quill for stability / rigidity and to prevent the head from rotating
                        The handle is for manual operation and the dials control automatic feed

Here is a Sketch of the various operations that can be done with this head

Here are the attachments included with the head . These allow the head to do the various cuts
                        Note how heavy the construction of the boring adapters are !
                        Rich

Comment

Sorry for the non-photos, i just found out that apparently Photobucket no longer has free images to display.
                          So the photos will not be shown as I do not have a $ 400.00 a year account------nor will I ever do that

Rich
                          Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 06-29-2017, 08:40 PM.

Comment

rich, I am using photobucket to post my images? maybe a setting?
                            I would love to see your pics as I am new to the head. can you email me or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                              Sorry for the non-photos, i just found out that apparently Photobucket no longer has free images to display.
                              So the photos will not be shown as I do not have a $ 400.00 a year account------nor will I ever do that

Rich
                              Well that sucks too. It's been getting harder to use, it seemed, so maybe they decided to just punt the difficulty right over the top. I wonder if it applies to all the previous photos posted there and referenced on this site. To paraphrase Ross Perot "Is that giant sucking sound Photobucket all over the web?"

EDIT - well a check of a previous post with a Photobucket hosted pic showed up okay, so I don't understand quite what's going on with them.
                              Last edited by TGTool; 06-29-2017, 10:03 PM.
                              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X