• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something you don't often see set up on your mill

Front axle for a '61 B model Mack.

Hopefully the picture works:

Nice!

After you're done mount the rest of the truck up there....

That's really great use of machinist's jacks and clamping. Very obviously one of the oh so common cases where the setup and alignment takes far longer than the cutting operation.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Here's the truck:

Comment

Damn that is nice. What sits under the bonnet.Oh forgot you guys call it a hood.

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
          Damn that is nice. What sits under the bonnet.Oh forgot you guys call it a hood.
          In that picture, the stock 707 ci (IIRC correctly) Mack engine. Soon to get a Cummins diesel.

Sid

Comment

Nice indeed.

Originally posted by plunger View Post
            The 'hood is where you park it..........
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              The 'hood is where you park it..........
              No, I think the 'hood is where you make damn sure you don't park it!
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Nice truck , is the 707 ci a gasser

Comment

Originally posted by Dlane View Post
                  Nice truck , is the 707 ci a gasser
                  Yes, gas.

Comment

Nice set-up. Good to see a mill's table being fully used. I don't think I have even seen a photo of anything that big on a table that size.

Looks like you were moving the hole pattern over two or three inches and making it slightly smaller. What mounts there? Or is that the attachment point for the axle itself? If so, why would the location and size of the hole pattern change? Different frame? Different suspension?

PS: I like that mobile ice cream stand in the last photo. Looks like someone got clever with an air blower.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                      Nice set-up. Good to see a mill's table being fully used. I don't think I have even seen a photo of anything that big on a table that size.

Looks like you were moving the hole pattern over two or three inches and making it slightly smaller. What mounts there? Or is that the attachment point for the axle itself? If so, why would the location and size of the hole pattern change? Different frame? Different suspension?
                      The reason for having it up on the mill was to make new mounting points. The center hole is to locate the spring pack, and the four other holes are for the U-bolts. The axle itself was sectioned three inches and welded back together.
                      The new axle has the proper features that he needs for the spindle that he needs to use the type of new wheel/brake package that he wants. The tires stuck out of the fenders more that he wanted, so the modification was made.
                      The "guy" is one of my brothers. Attention to detail.

Sid

Comment

Here is what the truck looked like before he modified it:

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                          No, I think the 'hood is where you make damn sure you don't park it!
                          You don't park near your house?
                          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

That Mack bulldog hood ornament is unique, complete with it's own US design patent.

--Guido
                            Last edited by Guido; 07-05-2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

The biggest thing I had on my First Mill.
                              A belt vulcanizing press...about 7 feet long, 20 or more inches high, about 9 inches thick..
                              Had to bore out holes in the ends and make bushings...
                              Good job it was aluminum.

Comment

Working...
                              X