O/T: Car engine Q. Sorry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T: Car engine Q. Sorry.

I was watching how its made, the TV show and they were showing the basic build up of a Nitromethane Hemi. Nice looking aluminum block and freaking head studs sticking outta the block were comical, very strong.

My question for anyone in the know, we have a few racers here.

It looked like the nose of the camshaft had an extra lobe or space for one (I couldn't see from the pic). There were five and the camshafts I have seen are symmetrical, four per set. It looked like it had bearings and not bushings, very nice!

I was just curious as to what that might trigger, it looks like it has a reluctor on it also.

I will try to post a pic, PB will prolly shoot me down. I need to figure out the google, verizon and other free options. I dont really want to hog VP's storage, I am picture heavy. Anyway, solly, I digress. Fancy speak for running on.

Here is a pic. Does it look like there are five spots in between the front bearing and the second? Thanks, JR

Pic to follow.....

In for the picture.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Is this modern era?

the old cams had an extra lobe to drive the old mechanical fuel pumps...

Comment

If this is the video in question I'm not seeing anything unusual about the camshaft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJXGnnaPfoo

Good, albeit short shot, of the cam at about the 50 sec. mark.

Four lobes between bearing journals, gear at the front for distributor drive and an flanged adapter for the cam driven fuel pump on the nose of the cam.
        The front of big block Chryslers have always had a large span between the first and second cam bearing due to the dist. drive gear being at the front as well as the need for extra length required to go thru the timing cavity at the front of the engine. Also as AK pointed out the original old versions had the mechanical fuel pumps drive from a lobe there but I don't see one here, not that it would have one in such a purpose built engine and cam.
        Is this perhaps what's causing some confusion?
        Did I miss something?
        Last edited by Willy; 07-07-2017, 01:12 PM.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I could not tell much looking at that vid, did notice he assembled the cam without lube but might have been just for the camera

also noticed the steering wheel "grip radius"

think Id want at least double that with half the gearing response !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
            If this is the video in question I'm not seeing anything unusual about the camshaft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJXGnnaPfoo

Good, albeit short shot, of the cam at about the 50 sec. mark.
            Yes Sir, thats the one @50sec. The reason I asked is I went to lunati's site and they didnt show the extra space on the hemi cam they showed. Prolly a stock photo.

Thanks guys for learning me up JR

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
              I could not tell much looking at that vid, did notice he assembled the cam without lube
              That may be normal. Roller cam followers don't need assy lube or break-in. Go to the NHRA drags and go in the pits (all tickets include a pit pass) and watch a team fully rebuild the engine between race rounds. You don't want to be the bottom end guy, taking the rods off with hot oil dripping in your face can't be fun. Lots of practices there go against everything we know about rebuilding an engine.

I've got a piston that only went 1 round and seeing the ring lands sagging from the blowby heat is scary. If too much gets past the piston it fills the crankcase and next ignition cycle will blow the engine apart. 100# superchargers used to go 100' straight up before the restraint systems were in place.

Mike

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeL46 View Post
                That may be normal. Roller cam followers don't need assy lube or break-in.

Mike
                Yeah but their running plain bearing mains on the cam and they are not lubed...

Comment

... superchargers used to go 100' straight up before the restraint systems were in place.
                  Funny car bodies used to do the same thing until burst panels were added to them.

Comment

If too much gets past the piston it fills the crankcase and next ignition cycle will blow the engine apart. 100# superchargers used to go 100' straight up before the restraint systems were in place.

Mike
                    Can't imagine why......

Fuel flow though each cylinder at idle, and at GO time:

Comment

Originally posted by Highpower View Post
                      Can't imagine why......

That was nice , thanks. Do they only run one? And Ill bet the lil motor I heard was not near the power that fuel pump needs. Driven off the engine will net more gallons per second LoL. I love to watch the mechanical stuff of top fuel car. watching drag racing on TV, no fun. Driving to a race tack and paying the fees. I cant afford it. Id love to, just not in the pocket book. JR

Comment

Originally posted by Highpower View Post
                        Can't imagine why......

'kin hell!!!! That was astounding.

Comment

and with the tank up front and that 2 1/2" straight fuel line leading all the way to the back I bet that pump does not even have to work very hard when the clutch is let out...

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                            That was nice , thanks. Do they only run one? .......................
                            That's one cylinder's worth of fuel! Eight times that is a lot of fuel and a whole lotta air.
                            Mind you 8,000 plus HP requires a lot of resources, quite the science and art.

Incredible feeling when your whole body reverberates when standing next to one when the throttle is blipped, an almost religious experience.
                            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

What keeps the rims from spinning inside the wrinkle walls? they have to have rim locks no?

fairly low pressure tires to boot, heck if dirt bikes need them I would think T.fuelers would have to have them...

Comment

Working...
                              X