Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mounting a drill press or Mill head to a lathe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikem
    replied
    Paul A.--very nice and right on the point of what I was hoping to do! Thanks!

Glug----the milling head needs to be squared up with the mower deck----and you need to add front wheel drive........��

Leave a comment:

• wombat2go
    replied
    Paul, they are working, sharp photos and nice equipment too.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    OK, I did use this forum's photo hosting and it does work. The images are back in my post above. But it could take a long time to do that for all my other posts: I have several thousand of them here, not to mention other boards.

Photobucket will never get a single penny from me. Never! If they wanted to change their rules, they should not make that change retroactive. It IS blackmail. And almost as bad as holding a person's files for ransom.

George is right when he said that the board's hosting is somewhat complicated. It took me a while to get those three photos up and the links in the above post changed. I made a cheat list of the steps, just George's instructions minus all the unnecessary stuff, like the photos. Just the short strokes. I will refine it and post it in another thread so others can copy it.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Originally posted by Glug View Post
    Heck no. Anything is possible.

Start up a new thread about putting a VFD on that puppy ! ! ! !

Leave a comment:

• Glug
    replied
    Originally posted by mikem View Post
    Is this a bad idea?
    Heck no. Anything is possible.

Leave a comment:

• Jaakko Fagerlund
    replied
    Originally posted by RichR View Post
    Paul, last time I posted pictures I used https://postimg.org. No signup required and I could select multiple images to upload in one shot.
    I vote to use the forums own albums.

Leave a comment:

• RichR
    replied
    Paul, last time I posted pictures I used https://postimg.org. No signup required and I could select multiple images to upload in one shot.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Rich, yes, I noticed that this morning. It happened right after this post was made as the photos were there last night. There is no way they are going to get even $50 out of me, much less $400 or more. NO WAY! I think these people have too much money on their own hands and think everyone else does too.

I will be looking for a new way to display photos and will try to replace the missing links. I have a lot of posts and limited time so I will take requests.

Originally posted by RichR View Post
    Paul, Photobucket is blocking your pictures from displaying.

Leave a comment:

• wombat2go
    replied
    Yes, I have made a motor-spindle with a drill chuck that I used in the milling attachment of the SB9A to drill the spoke holes in bike hubs.
    I will put up some photos later.

Leave a comment:

• RichR
    replied
    Paul, Photobucket is blocking your pictures from displaying.

Leave a comment:

• MattiJ
    replied
    I have also a steel block that I can use to mount the milling head of my Aciera F1 to replace lathe toolpost.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    I have a block that allows me to mount my Unimat spindle on my SB-9. It works nicely for drilling and for light milling. I have other ways for doing heavier milling in the lathe.

Here you can see it in action milling a flat and drilling holes on a boring bar that I was making in the lathe. The first photo shows a milling cutter in use and the second one shows a drill. Thus I milled a flat and drilled the needed holes with this same set-up, all without taking the part out of the lathe. I did not have a milling machine at that time, but it can also be a time saver as you can do some milling right there in the lathe, instead of transferring to the mill.

Side note: I needed that boring bar to finish the block itself. The large hole that goes through it (horizontally in the photo) in the rear was made to fit OD of the Unimat column that is mounted to the block by it's base in these photos. The block has a dual purpose as it can be used to mount the Unimat column to the SB lathe or other machines or it can be used in place of the standard, CI bracket that holds the Unimat head on the column. This new block allows a greater throat distance when drilling and milling on the Unimat. It also allows multiple mounting positions for the Unimat head, giving greater versatility in use. And my original CI bracket had developed a crack at the clamping bolt. My new aluminum block has three clamping screws and has shown absolutely no tendency to crack in use. It was important to get that bored hole perpendicular to the faces of the block where the Unimat head would mount and line boring it in the lathe was my choice of methods for that. It came out well.

Oh, here's a shot of that line boring operation. One tool helped make a second tool and the second tool was used to finish the first one.

Oh, and I did say I had other ways for milling in the lathe. The table you see in the third photo is my lathe milling table. That Unimat bracket block was milled square and to size in the SB, using that table and a shop made fly cutter.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 07-08-2017, 05:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Rivett 608 and related 8" machines have the same sort of indexing system, and attachments were made for every operation you can realistically imagine

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Pretty common with watch and clock stuff......the headstock spindles all have divisions holes built right in for that function. They can be used in the X or Y......or if you want a Y spindle only but with a larger lathe, there are the maximats which are high quality.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    One of the uses for the "Versamil" is mounted to the lathe carriage.

For milling, drilling , even grinding.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=versamil

Leave a comment:

Working...
X