Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use these flexible drill bit shafts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use these flexible drill bit shafts?

Like this:

Looks pretty handy, but does it really work?
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

If you can't think of any tools you need more than that, you can send me the money. I need a set of adjustable parallels.

Comment

I don't know that I believe line-lock will handle much torque on its own. Is there a spiral cable hiding inside of it by chance?
      I have a hand held flexible driver that uses a spiral cable with a 1/4" square drive on it that works quite well actually.

No good if you are trying to loosen a very TIGHT fastener though. The cable rolls up into a loop because of it's extra long length. The shorter ones would allow more torque.

Last edited by Highpower; 07-09-2017, 12:44 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

I have to wonder how well it does in reverse.
        Not much point using it with tool bits that you can use in only one direction.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
          I have to wonder how well it does in reverse.
          Which one are you talking about Willy? The one I have will never unwind if that's what you mean. Believe me, I've cranked on that thing in both directions for a lot of years. Think extra heavy oversized speedo cable. It would snap before it ever unraveled.

Comment

I have a couple of flex-shaft 1/4" and 3/8" extensions that follow the HD speedo cable design and I've long since put them aside and gone back to regular extensions and U-joints.
            Perhaps yours is wound both ways. What brand is it because if it works and you're happy with it I have a home for one that works.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Looks low power.

When is the last time you needed a wet noodle to do the impossible?

Comment

Mine is a Snap-on. I'll have a look at it tomorrow and see how its wound - I've never paid any attention to it. It just works. Mind you I'm not trying to use it on anything larger than machine screws. Mostly up under dashboards and such to be able to snake through all those razor sharp sheet metal gussets in order to get to that one last screw that is holding in the center A/C vent, that is screwed in from the firewall side!

Sure.... it's easy to get to when the dash is pulled out of the car. But flat rate doesn't cover that!

Comment

I had to do a search for one those drill flex shafts and found one like Winchman showed, and Amazon.com sells one for $12.99 and has a 3 and 1/2 star rating from 101 people.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                  Oregon Coast

Comment

Flexible cables have been around for a long time. Decades ago I got one for my Unimat and it would mount the drill chuck or any other chuck or accessory that would mount on the spindle. I did not use it a lot, but after a few uses it broke; a crimp came loose. A couple of years later I needed it so I fixed it and it worked OK since. But since I got a Dremel I haven't used it at all. I did get a Dremel flexible shaft and have used it once or twice. But it is also limited for use with drill bits as it uses the regular Dremel collets.

The one in the photo looks like it has a flexible shaft inside of some coolant hose. I don't know how sturdy it is or how long it will last. And it does not appear to have a chuck on it, just a hex socket (1/4"?) So you will need to get drill bits with a matching hex shank. I don't think I will get one.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

The flex shaft tools similar to this that I am familiar with have a two concentric spiral cables wound in opposite directions. That way one or the other picks up the torque as it turns and that other is prevented from unwinding.

Comment

Originally posted by Highpower View Post
                        I don't know that I believe line-lock will handle much torque on its own. Is there a spiral cable hiding inside of it by chance?
                        I have a hand held flexible driver that uses a spiral cable with a 1/4" square drive on it that works quite well actually.

No good if you are trying to loosen a very TIGHT fastener though. The cable rolls up into a loop because of it's extra long length. The shorter ones would allow more torque.

I'm sure there has to be a braided cable inside that lock line.
                        Just like the hand driver in your picture.

JL................

Comment

For things that you want to apply force to, a rigid but adjustable item like a "Terry angle" that has at least one extra angle with it, is better than the flexi-hose type. They are made for drilling, so they can apply some force. You may need to make a screwdriving end for it, if you do not get one with.

I'm not bothering to attach a pic of mine that has a double angle... Photo*uckit will just foul it shortly.
                          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

I have a couple of them, one came with a small drill, the other I picked up somewhere. They are low power, but convenient and work very well in their limits.
                            Like Highpower, normally in those difficult to reach areas where you can see or feel the fastener, but can't get anything on it without spending hours tearing out other things that are just there to add work.

Comment

FYI you can but Jacobs style chucks with the hex drive on the back. About $15 or so. Amazon probably has them.

Comment

Working...
                              X