No announcement yet.

Alibre.......not sure I understand...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alibre.......not sure I understand...?

Okay, I have the original free Alibre. I paid maintenance a couple times to 3Dsystems. I quit maintenance when my useage of Alibre was so limited no need for new versions. I would still like to have it available though when I can't as easily do a solid model in another program as I can with Alibre.

Now I'm not sure where I stand. My fear is they'll cut me off completely unless I opt for maintenance with the new Alibre folks.

I've read the email from the new folks, but either not closely enough or it didn't answer my question. Anybody know for sure?

Why pay an exorbitant price every year for 3d modeling software when Fusion 360 is free???

Comment

Did you try to install it?

Do you have the original key?

For old SW. they do not cut you off, although there is no guarantee that the SW will still re-install after many years, with new OS versions, changes in licensing software, etc.. But you get no new versions.

Which version do you have? I got free upgraded to the top version during the time 3D Systems owned it, so I am happy. It way more than pays its maintenance for me.

As to why pay? Support, in case of problems/issues. Upgrades... due to paying maintenance, I got from the next to lowest version up to the top version, no extra cost.... I still have not paid them total the entry cost for the version I am using, despite maintenance. And, of course, as the program is improved, you always get the newest version is you are on maintenance.

Fusion is free, but "free" has costs too. It does not do as much, it is a basic version, lacking features. And, there is no guarantee that it will always be free, it could go to a subscription model later, despite what anyone says, even the company. Just look at Photobucket........
      Last edited by J Tiers; 07-11-2017, 03:41 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

What do you think Alibre can do that Fusion cannot?
        2D in Fusipm is limited. But 3D modeling in Fusion is faster and easier thanAlibre. At least that is my experience.

Plus it has more possibilities with CAM, simulation, animation, etc, So how can you possibly say it is limited?
        Last edited by Black Forest; 07-12-2017, 12:26 PM.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
          2D in Fusikn is limited. But 3D modeli g in Fusion faztef and eazier the ibre. At least that is my experience.

Plus it has ma y more pkszibilties with CAM, similation, a imation, etc, Zo how can you possibly say it isimited!
          Today I learned that German is not as different from english as I thought. That is german, right?

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
            Today I learned that German is not as different from english as I thought. That is german, right?

Dan
            I just read what I typed! Just call me Alistair!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

To answer your exact question re "cut you off". The Alibre folks have not worked this out as yet. The existing licence system is managed by 3D Systems and Alibre have negotiated that it be maintained for another year.

This is a problem for Alibre and existing users alike as I doubt that Alibre will want to cause existing users to lose the perpetual licence purchased. Probably the only real solution is to offer a "dummy upgrade" of some kind that pulls the licences to the new Alibre.

Of course, just what this version looks like from a functionality perspective is yet to be determined. Seems hard to image it can be anything "less" than the "newly rebranded Alibre" that is presently available. For many this would be a freeby upgrade in itself.

Announced is that there will be just the 2 versions of Alibre moving forward ... Professional and Expert ... hence the upgrade has to take you to one of them. From your description I expect that will be the Professional version.

I am sure you have been here, but for completeness click here for the comparisons list.

There is a "maintenance amnesty" till 31st August 2017 whereby existing users can renew annual maintenance without penalty for USD $400.

This is a generous offer ... though it also is smart marketing by Alibre to slurp up the likes of the OP (and myself for that matter) and get them back on board.

Another big advantage of getting to the latest version is that it gets you onto the latest database format; hence allows you to use the files of other users who share here or have posted to likes of GrabCad, TraceParts or the Alibre Forum.

Alibre is a powerful tool. The Assemblies allow parts to be put together and related parts "moved" manually with the constraints (hinges, swivels, shafts etc) doing the right thing with the connected parts; thus allowing the user to check the part is a goer. The "Check for Interferences" tool has saved my bacon many times.

Comment

Actually the existing license system is managed by Flexera, but Alibre say they are getting away from Flexera.

This should be useful, from the Alibre CEO:

http://forum.alibre.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19470
                Last edited by J Tiers; 07-11-2017, 07:07 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

2D in Fusikn is limited. But 3D modeli g in Fusion faztef and eazier the ibre. At least that is my experience.

Plus it has ma y more pkszibilties with CAM, similation, a imation, etc, Zo how can you possibly say it isimited!
                  I'd have to find the postings again....elsewhere, not here....

But from what I am told, there is truly free Fusion, and pay-for Fusion, which are not the same, the free version does not have some fairly major things that the pay-for version does have (surprise). In that case, while the "full version" of fusion may have many many features, the "free" version does not have them all, and so it is, by definition, "limited".

As for specific differences between "free" Fusion and Alibre, I need to find the partial list I saw. As I recall, there were enough that I could not use the free version to do what I use Alibre for.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

But from what I am told, there is truly free Fusion, and pay-for Fusion, which are not the same, the free version does not have some fairly major things that the pay-for version does have (surprise). In that case, while the "full version" of fusion may have many many features, the "free" version does not have them all, and so it is, by definition, "limited".
                    You need to find a new teller

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      I'd have to find the postings again....elsewhere, not here....

As for specific differences between "free" Fusion and Alibre, I need to find the partial list I saw. As I recall, there were enough that I could not use the free version to do what I use Alibre for.
                      Fusion 360 for students / hobby users and startup businesses is free. There is no free version, its the same version, free to the users mentioned. Worth noting is that to those users, its the Fusion 360 ultimate version, full blown with all features including full 5 axis cam, nothing restricted or held back. I just did some 4 axis cam on the mill with it this week.

Comment

Just admit Jerry you don't have a clue about Fusion and so shouldn't post comparisons between Fusion and Alibre. I have both and use both.

Except for the 2D drawing module in Fusion I like Fusion much better than Alibre. Now I will say I stopped maintenance on Alibre at version 16 so maybe I am talking trash also.

Comment

Originally posted by Norman Bain View Post
                          There is a "maintenance amnesty" till 31st August 2017 whereby existing users can renew annual maintenance without penalty for USD $400.

This is a generous offer ...
                          Generous.....maybe if you are using it commercially but if you are just doing CAD for a hobby then not so much.

Why do you think Autodesk gives Fusion away to hobbyists, because they know that a most of those hobbyists will not pay for it and many will just download a cracked version of some other CAD program or use some crappy free CAD. Autodesk losses nothing by giving it to them for free. What they do get is a bigger experienced user base and good advertising. Alibre doesn't get either.

One big problem for Fusion and this is because of there online model and associated restrictions is that if you only want a printed output your sort of screwed. You can't directly print, you put in a request and the file is emailed to you and then you can print it. But wait there is more. What is the best sheet size for an "at home" printer for doing CAD, 8 1/2 x 14" and which format won't Fusion do....wait for it, yes that is absolutely correct 8 1/2 x 14.

I'm not condemning Fusion, I tried it, many very good points (the online business model sucks but is free, I don't know how they think companies with propitiatory info will use an online CAD program where everything is out in the wild. You can't count on someone else security) but lacking some.
                          Last edited by loose nut; 07-12-2017, 08:27 AM.
                          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I never used Alibre, but Fusion is good enough that I uninstalled Solidworks. Jerry, you clearly haven't used Fusion, it truly is a hobbyists dream come true.

Comment

Just admit Jerry you don't have a clue about Fusion and so shouldn't post comparisons between Fusion and Alibre. I have both and use both.

Except for the 2D drawing module in Fusion I like Fusion much better than Alibre. Now I will say I stopped maintenance on Alibre at version 16 so maybe I am talking trash also.
                              BF:

Reading is a wonderful skill. You should try it sometime.......

There is no "Just admit" involved here. I already made it quite as clear as can be that my information came from others, and not from personal knowledge. If you had read, you would know that.

I see that Loose Nut has, however, confirmed the other thing I was told, which is that it is "cloud based", and therefore that you do not fully control your own models and drawings, and cannot even print (that alone qualifies as "limited"). That is a non-starter for me right there, as some of what I do is under NDA, etc, and so cannot be sent off to "unknown others" for any reason.

In any case, when companies start dropping Solidworks, Creo, etc in favor of Fusion, then we will know.

"You clearly have not used Fusion".....LOL.... Yes, it IS pretty clear when I said that.......

What's the maintenance cost for Fusion for those who do NOT use the free version?
                              Last edited by J Tiers; 07-12-2017, 09:31 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X