1" stock in a mini lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1" stock in a mini lathe

First time posting although I've been browsing over the past month (mostly the "shop made tools" thread - inspiring stuff!)

I have a HF mini lathe (7"x12") and I was going to try and turn some 1" stock when to my surprise I found I could not secure it in the lathes' 3 jaw chuck. The jaws have 3 "steps", the inner step is mounted inside the head of the chuck and won't allow stock much over 1/2". The second step when fully closed is too large to support the 1" stock (more like 1 1/4" ID). The third step larger still.

I was kind of surprised - and I am known to make stupid mistakes - am I missing something here, or is it impossible to chuck 1" stock in this particular 3 jaw chuck without a spider or some kind of material between the stock and the jaws?

Thanks,

philip

There should be another set of jaws for the chuck that will have the steps opposite. Did you buy the lathe new? Three jaw chucks usually come with both sets. Stu

Comment

Stu - yes, I have the other set of jaws which are outward-facing (IE: grab a pipe from the inside), but this doesn't help me with a solid piece of stock which I need to grip from the outside.

philip

Comment

Phillip, Those jaws will grab pipe from the inside, but are much used for most jobs to hold stock by clamping with the tall side of the jaw and should nicely hold your 1 inch stock. From looking at the photo, those jaws should hold solid stock up to maybe 2 inches.

Comment

Just so that we are all on the same page, do you have the jaws and stock in this arrangement?

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
            Just so that we are all on the same page, do you have the jaws and stock in this arrangement?

A picture is worth a thousand words - I see what Stu was saying now. Thank you. Again, like I said, I have a propensity to make stupid mistakes!

thanks all,

philip

Comment

I take it you're using the "outside" jaws that came with the chuck and you are running into a situation where you cannot close them far enough because the steps are too coarse. I'd say switch back to the inside jaws and simply open the chuck further. As long as there is still a couple of turns of the scroll holding the jaws in place you are good to go. Just don't go all gorilla on the chuck key. You SHOULD be able to hold the 1" stock with the inside jaws. Just confirm the amount of scroll engagement.

Edit- in fact just like that picture in Willy's post above.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

The standard chuck (AFAIK) with the 7 x 12/14 lathe is the 80mm diameter 3-jaw. With the normal jaws it will hold round bar up to 30mm diameter. The through-hole is 16mm, so 1" stock will not pass through the chuck (or, for that matter, the spindle—the latter's bore is 20mm).
                I have wished for many years that I had had the sense to get the 100mm alternative 3-jaw chuck when I bought my Sieg C3 (a 7 x 14).
                It sounds like you're using the alternative jaws. Try the other ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Burch View Post
                  The standard chuck (AFAIK) with the 7 x 12/14 lathe is the 80mm diameter 3-jaw. With the normal jaws it will hold round bar up to 30mm diameter. The through-hole is 16mm, so 1" stock will not pass through the chuck (or, for that matter, the spindle—the latter's bore is 20mm).
                  I have wished for many years that I had had the sense to get the 100mm alternative 3-jaw chuck when I bought my Sieg C3 (a 7 x 14).
                  It sounds like you're using the alternative jaws. Try the other ones.
                  The scroll of a self centering chuck takes more room so it has a smaller central hole than an "independent" chuck. For a chuck with a bigger through-hole, look at the 4 inch chuck with 4 independent jaws. These are available from aftermarket sources.

Dan
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                    The scroll of a self centering chuck takes more room so it has a smaller central hole than an "independent" chuck. For a chuck with a bigger through-hole, look at the 4 inch chuck with 4 independent jaws. These are available from aftermarket sources.

Dan
                    Yes, Dan, I do also have the 100mm four-jaw chuck, which is a lot more versatile.

Comment

Curious also. JR
                      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

You should replace that mini-lathe with a proper mini-lathe, such as a 10ee

Comment

10ee, are they not import lathes?

Comment

Originally posted by hahnpv View Post
                            A picture is worth a thousand words - I see what Stu was saying now. Thank you. Again, like I said, I have a propensity to make stupid mistakes!

thanks all,

philip
                            Not a stupid mistake Phillip, just part of the learning curve, no one here knew anymore than knowing how to breath at some point.
                            We're all here to learn from eachother's experience.
                            By the way, I wonder why your reply did not show up here where it should have until this morning even though your reply was filed right after mine?
                            Lot's of mysteries in life. LOL

By the way...welcome aboard!
                            Last edited by Willy; 07-14-2017, 09:48 AM. Reason: Spelling...Again!
                            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

By the way, I wonder why your reply did not show up here where it should have until this morning even though your reply was filed right after mine?
                              Members with a low post count get stuck in a moderation filter when including a link and the post has to be manually approved by either Kelly or myself. I have the software set to the lowest limit, but haven't figured out a way to turn it completely off.
                              George
                              Traverse City, MI

Comment

Working...
                              X