Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metalmagpie
    replied
    Poke a hole in the big end with a pin before boiling. Learned this from a vintage Sunbeam egg cooker.
    Use older eggs.
    Put them in cold water to cool, and change the water a couple times until the eggs actually cool.
    Peel them under running water.
    Works over 95% of the time for me. I bet it will be the same for you.

metalmagpie

Leave a comment:

• rws
    replied
    Report: I followed the link Ken provided above, the "cooksillustrated" method, of boiling water first then lowering the room temp eggs into the water. I cooked a dozen yesterday, and just peeled twp of them for lunch. Success! They peeled very easy. These were about 10 day old fresh eggs from our hens that were kept in the frig until yesterday to let them warm up. I hope the rest do the same.

Leave a comment:

• Noitoen
    replied
    Just break the shell at the wide end and blow on them. It will separate the shell from the egg.
    Since this is a machining forum, install a compressed air line in the kitchen to do just this

Leave a comment:

• rws
    replied
    Yep, eggs are not a gauaranteed increase in cholesterol. Besides, the blood test is not a definitive test for plaque in the blood vessels, only a cheap test that insurance companies pay for.

Leave a comment:

• H380
    replied
    Originally posted by TRX View Post
    Massive cholesterol. An increment to arteriosclerosis in every shell.
    Not any more. No more low salt diets for high blood pressure and no more low cholesterol diets. Just eat the recommended USDA daily amount. Which is still a restriction for most people. My Dr recommends eggs over oatmeal now (Low simple carb). 2300mg max and 1500mg min of salt and 75gms of fat a day.

Leave a comment:

• TRX
    replied
    Massive cholesterol. An increment to arteriosclerosis in every shell.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    vinegar, age is redundant...
    Jon

Leave a comment:

• CCWKen
    replied
    Originally posted by lugnut View Post
    I normally let the Easter Bunny provide my hard boiled eggs
    Ditto. I don't eat hard boiled eggs unless someone else cooks them. I get fresh potato salad at the store for that evening. That's about the only way I'll eat them. They stink up the house otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• lugnut
    replied
    I normally let the Easter Bunny provide my hard boiled eggs

Leave a comment:

• H380
    replied
    Cold eggs and cold water in a pot. Heat until one egg moves by bubbles. Remove from heat cover the pot and let stand for 17 minutes. Then run under water to cool down. Works every time with store bought eggs. Yard eggs are hopeless to peel. I just use them fresh.

https://youtu.be/lbzhyvH74w8

Leave a comment:

• KJ1I
    replied
    Originally posted by Norman Bain View Post
    I expect the planet could be divided into those who do the hard-boiled thing vs those that do the soft-boiled thing.

The results can be cross referenced with those who have good taste and other generally desirable traits.
    Except, you CANNOT make deviled eggs using "the soft-boiled thing".

Leave a comment:

• Baz
    replied
    Buy Scotch eggs, peel off meat. Easy.

Leave a comment:

• Norman Bain
    replied
    I expect the planet could be divided into those who do the hard-boiled thing vs those that do the soft-boiled thing.

The results can be cross referenced with those who have good taste and other generally desirable traits. For sure those with the soft-boiled preference will be seen to be solidly in the group with other generally desirable traits.

I mean ... hard-boiled ... how can you eat that dried out rubbish.

Leave a comment:

• HWooldridge
    replied
    Originally posted by Forrest Addy View Post
    Hoo, boy. Another recipe war: hard boiled eggs edition. Cold eggs, worm eggs, sated water. Vinegar. Cold water start, warm water start, boiling water start. Fresh eggs. Two day old eggs. Week old eggs. Fertile eggs. Brown eggs. Banty eggs. Free-run chicken eggs. etc etc etc

Recipes for hard boiled eggs might have inspired the plot conflict in Swift's depiction of Liliput.
    Wife: I don't want ANY spam!
    Man: Why can't she have egg bacon spam and sausage?
    Wife: THAT'S got spam in it!
    Man: Hasn't got as much spam in it as spam egg sausage and spam, has it?
    Vikings: Spam spam spam spam (crescendo through next few lines)
    Wife: Could you do the egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam then?
    Waitress: Urgghh!
    Wife: What do you mean 'Urgghh'? I don't like spam!
    Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
    Waitress: Shut up!
    Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
    Waitress: Shut up! (Vikings stop) Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam.
    Wife (shrieks): I don't like spam!
    Man: Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!
    Vikings (singing): Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
    Waitress: Shut up!! Baked beans are off.
    Man: Well could I have her spam instead of the baked beans then?
    Waitress: You mean spam spam spam spam spam spam... (but it is too late and the Vikings drown her words)
    Vikings (singing elaborately): Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam spam spam!

Leave a comment:

• gvasale
    replied
    Cooks Illustrated and the TV program America's Test Kitchens are right on. Steaming is the way to go.

We don't do hard boiled. Soft boiled requires only 6 1/2 minutes in steam. Never fails.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X