Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Stevenson
    replied
    No just standard framed metric motor and I mod the shaft to suit whatever is needed.

Leave a comment:

• Mike of the North
    replied
    Does the motor have the proper shaft for the variable speed pulley? that was the main thing keeping me from converting to a different motor.

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Looks like an opening for what I do over here

Brand new 2HP motor - about £150 in stock
    Laser cut conversion plate - about £20-in stock.
    Rework to the new motor to suit the bridgeport - about £100

Same day or next day latest

Leave a comment:

• Mike of the North
    replied
    The motor has a short, needs to be rewound, cost $550, should be done in 7 to 10 days.

Leave a comment:

• Mike of the North
    replied
    I tested the VFD on a 3 phase motor I removed from my variable speed drill press and it ran the motor, the DP motor was 3/4 HP, the VFD is rated for up to 2HP, the mill had a habit of sometimes not wanting to start, I could usually get it going by garbing the spindle and giving it a spin, but that stopped working so I think it went bad, I am going to run a few bench tests on my own before I take it in, Thanks for the help.

Leave a comment:

• metalmagpie
    replied
    Super quick test: put your head next to the motor and SNIFF. Smell like burnt wires?

Leave a comment:

• Forrest Addy
    replied
    Before you blame the motor (it was working OK before, right?) troubleshot the VFD. Got lights etc. Is there a fault code on the control panel? Have you ensured the VFD's parameters suit the motor's ratings? All connections properly made? Motor connected for your service voltage? Is there an enable terminal mis-wired?

Not saying the motor aint the problem but check the easy stuff first.
    Last edited by Forrest Addy; 07-20-2017, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Machine
    replied
    Are you sure the motor is connected properly to the VFD and the VFD is working and setup properly? You say the static converter failed and the motor stalled. Seems unlikely both components would fail simultaneously. I'd take the motor to a known good source of 3 phase, make sure it is connected according to the wiring diagram in the Bridgeport manual and see if it runs. Only then would I go down the route of rebuild/replacement. Otherwise I recently had mine apart and replaced the bearings. No big deal. If the rotor is bad they are available for about $350. The outer winding is the super expensive part and hard to find perhaps by now. Here's a few websites to help:

http://www.machinerypartsdepot.com/s...57/page/912125

Leave a comment:

• Mike of the North
    replied
    There is a local electric motor shop that I am taking the motor to on Mon. they charge $20 to test the motor and tell you what is wrong with it, so I will know more then. It is a variable speed unit. I know about H&W I have one of their variable speed rebuild kits and a DVD on how to rebuild a Bridgeport from them.

Leave a comment:

• jmm03
    replied
    Mike, assuming you have already looked for a motor shop in your area, perhaps these guys can help. Jim http://www.machinerypartsdepot.com/?...FYGUfgodwKsHtg

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    I've replaced a few. Rebuild will be expensive partially as almost nobody does it any more. Two that say they do locally ship them to Mexico and still charge $500 or so. I have a couple here that will work depending on you head type. Is yours the early Varispeed or a step belt?

Check out your motor - you can easily see a burnt winding.

"Conversion" to single phase is not practicable. Of course a VFD does that.

And too late for your existing motor, but put a motor overload starter on the new one And dump your static phase converter... it doesn't convert phases - just starts the motor and runs it single phase. Some rarer type do add a third phase component but they are typically used on fixed load devices.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 07-21-2017, 01:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike of the North
    started a topic Bridgeport motor

Bridgeport motor

I have a Bridgeport with a 1 1/2 hp motor on it I was running it with a static phase converter, the phase converter went bad and the motor stalled, I hooked it up to a VFD and it will not run, has anybody had to replace or get a Bridgeport motor rebuilt? And how much did it cost? Can the motor be converted to single phase?
Working...
X