No announcement yet.

Production & testing of Zenith Carburetors, circa 1914

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can always tell when I am behind a carburetor car..... Exhaust stinks of gasoline.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      I worked on one fuel system in the last year --- and I work on cars for a living...

Im assuming "changing nets" is meant to be "changing jets" and I got you beat by 4 minutes and then and got you beat on the fly while going up mountain passes all the way down to sea level thanks to my MAP sensor... I never need to jack around with Jets anymore...

also no need to change throat size as no venturi needed so throat size is at an all time maximum without any "parasitic drag" needed by restrictive venturi's, yet all whilst my high pressure fuel system with frequency injectors are atomizing the fuel at a rate of 20% better than the restrictive venturi's could ever dream of...

carbs are crap, was a time when that's all we had and like i said that ship has sailed and glad they have been eliminated....
      I am a motorcycle Luddite.
      I do not like FI, because i can not fix it myself.
      I like carbs because i can fix them and tune them myself.
      I have owned and ridden motorcycles all my life. Since i was 17 (and knew nothing), i have never had one of my motorcycles in a shop for service or repair.
      To put things further into my Luddite perspective, i have never owned a motorcycle with a radiator, thermostat, fan, nor waterpump.
      And i dislike digital rather than anologue clocks and dashes intensely.

Comment

Same here, needs to have a kicker.. people ask me what new bikes I like.. Maybe an R Nine T, but the rest Meh.
        Not even running E ignition..... can start up on like 3 volts, carry a points plate.
        I liked running the bike since my first one like that in the mid 70,s, still enjoy it.
        Better stuff out There? There sure is but I am not running out to get it..
        Started running Webers in the 70,s still like them.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
          I worked on one fuel system in the last year --- and I work on cars for a living...
          Sorry I did not realize that FI was not a fuel system.

Comment

Btw , I have a nice Schebler from the teens I picked up... similar to what I need for my 1914 HD twin engine.
            Different mount threads but I can make the manifold. It would look the part for a boardtracker.
            What is strange though , is it has the rotary adjustable air sleeve you can turn by hand while running.
            It looks really similar to what the racing Scheblers for bikes used except it has one row of holes instead of two. Still has most of the original Nickel on the carb..nice.

Anyone got any idea of what these were used on ...boat maybe?
            It may be slightly smaller bore than the HD model.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
              Sorry I did not realize that FI was not a fuel system.
              It is a fuel system - that's my point, pretty impressive if iv only had to work on one in a years time,

also impressive if how long they can sit without gunking up like a carb, iv had people park their vehicles for years due to another problem, then want to get things repaired and finally do - after fresh gas is put in the tank they fire up without a hiccup...

that's what happens when you have a rack that's a sealed system and not vented to the atmosphere like a carb allowing things to dry out and turn to varnish...

Comment

Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post
                I am a motorcycle Luddite.
                I do not like FI, because i can not fix it myself.
                I like carbs because i can fix them and tune them myself.
                I have owned and ridden motorcycles all my life. Since i was 17 (and knew nothing), i have never had one of my motorcycles in a shop for service or repair.
                To put things further into my Luddite perspective, i have never owned a motorcycle with a radiator, thermostat, fan, nor waterpump.
                And i dislike digital rather than anologue clocks and dashes intensely.
                thaiguzzie you know me im pretty much a luddite too with all kinds of things (esp. self driving cars) but I also recognize great technology and EFI EI are just that

without it the world would be missing about 1/3 more fuel and emissions in cities would be lethal... plus I probably would have found another occupation,,, sometimes you just have to give credit where credit is due...

Comment

There is a whole new era on the horizon that stands to make conventional fuel injection look almost as archaic as carburetors (well not quite that bad lol)

Direct injection gas is a game changer, in another decade we won't even recognize the gas engine, many will not even have spark plugs. we've gone from throwing the fuel down into the combustion chamber in partial droplets to pulse controlling the spray pattern and monitoring it and changing it AS it's happening,,,

when all the benefits of both power and efficiency are realized with this latest technology it will be as hard to ignore as todays conventional fuel injections system is in comparison to yesteryears stone age carbs

Oh sure I had my "pride" in turning an old dinosaur engine back in the day and still do on great occasion - Im so very glad it's great occasion though and im not having to do it for a living...

Comment

Pretty soon Gas engines will be as efficient as diesels minus the lower BTU rating - really nothing holding that statement back anymore, this stuff that we use to transport ourselves and get around for enjoyment and whatever does not "come back" and has severe repercussions

Carbs are all we had at one time and nothing we could do about it - but its getting hard to see them as anything other than morally incorrect if used on anything being built new other than a weedeater...

Comment

Working...
                    X