No announcement yet.

mill move - tiltback flatbed? really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I moved my MILLRITE (which is about 3/4 of a Bridgeport), with a tiltback flatbed tow truck.
    The place I bought it from had a muddy open yard, which we had to wrestle the mill across on skates and plywood.
    Once we got it to within about 50 feet of the tow truck, the driver just wrapped the winch cable around the base, and dragged it up onto the flatbed.
    He strapped it, chained it in 4 directions, and kept the cable taut.
    When it arrived at my house, he tilted it back, slid it off with the winch, and help me roll it on pipes to it's new home.
    So, long story short.... YES a tiltback flatbed works just fine for moving machinery.

Comment

When I brought my Varnamo home from Auction,I removed the table,all the motors and anything else that would come off easy approx 1500 lbs. was removed.The 20000 lb.forklift with 8' forks at the Auction set it right between the axles on my 14000 car hauler.When I got home had a heck of a time lifting it off the trailer with my 5500 lb forklift even bent one of the forks that were new two weeks earlier.After refurbishing it I moved to it's location in pieces,maybe the 7000 lbs was not accurate in the specs.I have lifted 6000 lbs. with that forklift.

Comment

Originally posted by projectnut View Post
        Machine tools of all sorts can be moved in a variety of ways. For me the simplest and least expensive has been a drop bed trailer like this:

https://www.unitedrentals.com/en/equ...e-axle-special

They are relatively inexpensive to rent at about $75.00 per day and available from national chains like United Rental and Sunbelt Rental. In our area they are also available from local companies like A to Z Rental and Area Rental.

My most recent purchase was a Sheldon MW-56-P lathe. It weighs in at about 1650 lbs. When I picked it up the previous owner and his neighbor helped position it on dollies and roll it onto the trailer. After loading it we raised it enough to remove the dollies and tied it down to the deck and side rails. Then it was just a matter of raising the deck to travel height and driving away. When I got it home I was able to unload it myself by simply lowering the deck to the ground, placing 3/4" rods under the bases, and rolling it off the deck.

The trailers come in several sizes and weight ratings. I used a 7,000 lb. capacity one that used a standard 2" ball. A larger 12,000 capacity units need a 2 5/16" ball. They also come in single and double axle configurations. The double axle ones can be loaded and unloaded without being attached to a tow vehicle.

As a reference hiring a rigger would have cost between $2,200.00 and $3,300.00. Renting a flat bed truck with lift gate would have cost between $300.00 and $500.00 per day plus mileage and fuel. The trailer cost less than $200.00 for the 3 days I had it.
        That sounds perfectly sensible and I have a Sunbelt rental close to me with a drop-deck trailer on their lot and reasonably priced. They insist, however, that you prove your vehicle is rated to tow the max load that trailer is rated for. My little SUV just isn't up to that standard. If I'd had a big pickup with Class 3 hitch, though, I'd have done that in a heartbeat.

I don't think we did too bad, though. We moved two mills from different places to two other different places, safely and without any scary moments, although it was hard work sometimes. I rented a truck with a 20' flatbed and a 3500 pound liftgate. The out-the-door total is well under $300 which I think is damn cheap. It's cheaper than a tilt-back wrecker ($4/mile? I don't think so!) and way cheaper than hiring a boom truck.

Here's the truck I rented:

Here's my buddy pushing his new Alliant on my dolly:

And here we have both machines loaded on the truck at once:

At any rate, I got some very useful information from you guys and am happy most of all that the whole thing went off without a hitch and nobody got hurt and the machines are fine.

metalmagpie

Comment

Magpie, good choice for a moving vehicle in your situation, well done. I generally stay away from lift gates having seen many that tend to flop around because of loose pins. The best, if you have the tow vehicle and you can find one for rent is a drop deck trailer. I moved my 5500 lb K&T with one safely and relatively easy. Second thought moving anything weighing 5500 lbs is never easy.

I do like your machine moving fixture though.

Ron

Comment

That's was good. When I purchased my Laugun I decided to pay to have my machine moved. The seller recommend a local crane/riggers service. They picked up the mill and moved it for a quite reasonable fee of $600.

They used a forklift and rollback to move it, the moved it into my right shop with rollers. They were here 45 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X