Any such thing as a brace bit die nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any such thing as a brace bit die nut

Older brace bits after a while and many years use and many sharpenings...first the wings get too short...then the cutting surface is below the root of the screw thread in the middle...this stops them getting pulled in or even pushed in.

I don't want to chuck them away, as they are Mathieson and Russell Jennings bits
    I also don't want to spend too long a time on them trying to correct them on the lathe etc

Is there a sort of tubular die nut for re-cutting the tapered thread on these things, if so what's it called?

This will enable filing down deeper, so making the wings higher and correcting the pulling in or pushing problem.

all the best.markj

You could probably file another thread with a knife file. I don't know of any thread die for them. There may be one though. Or maybe you could use a regular die of the correct size to do just the top thread.
    Kansas City area

Comment

If real bad, cut it off, bore a hole and press/braze/locktite a quality screw in it.

Edit, I have sharpened a few with a file, works, but tedious and a pain to do.

Comment

Yes there is, I had one, looked like a die holder you stick in a tailstock with a square to fit a brace, I'm fairly sure it was American, Stanley comes to mind, it had three slotted and knurled screws, alas I don't posses it anymore, it was black paint finish, I've seen one at a flea market too, that one I'd swear was Ali? It was in a glass case and the price was bonkers.
        Wiley and Russel comes to mind as I have a screwdriver bit for big slotted screws by them
        Mark
        Found one!
        £15
        http://okanaganconnector.com/sexdeci...ey-russell?q=1
        Last edited by boslab; 07-22-2017, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Boslab, I think you may be on the wrong track. He's looking for a die to recut the conical pilot thread on the auger bits. Not a round die holder which seems to be the sort of thing you are describing with the three screws to hold the die.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

In this day and age my solution to the problem would be a cordless drill and some good Forstner bits. It is 2017
            you know...
            Keith

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
              In this day and age my solution to the problem would be a cordless drill and some good Forstner bits. It is 2017
              you know...
              Yeah I know

they are going on ebay when I correct them

AND IF ANYBODY FINDS A "SET" FORSTNER BRACE BITS.........they would sell for a fortune on ebay

Comment

How about brazing or silver soldering the screw tip off a cheap newer bit onto the Mathieson and Russell Jennings bits?

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
                  you know...
                  Often times a bit and brace can actually leave a nicer hole. Much quieter, too...

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Comment

The screw point on an auger bit has a very steep taper. I doubt that a tap would work, assuming one were available. Toolguy had the only practical solution. If you have a very steady hand you might be able to use a Dremel with a cutoff disc. If you slip you might make things worse. You can screw up a lot faster with power tools than with hand tools.

Comment

You don't really need more threads, you've got plenty already. Just cut back as far as desired along the axis of the bit and then turn down the section beyond the thread to the minor diameter of the largest part of the thread.

-js
                      There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                        Boslab, I think you may be on the wrong track. He's looking for a die to recut the conical pilot thread on the auger bits. Not a round die holder which seems to be the sort of thing you are describing with the three screws to hold the die.
                        Oops, my mistake, I sharpen my screw points with a triangular file, sometimes a knife edge, if they get really gnarly you can tig a bit of metal on to help!
                        Thanks BC
                        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
                          You don't really need more threads, you've got plenty already. Just cut back as far as desired along the axis of the bit and then turn down the section beyond the thread to the minor diameter of the largest part of the thread.

-js
                          Plus one on that m just undercut behind end if thread, without hitting the cutting faces, May only need 70 thou.

Comment

Working...
                          X