Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarification of DSG compound part - Al or anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification of DSG compound part - Al or anyone?

The compound nut on my 13x42 DSG was broken when I got it and its finally made it to the top of the priority list.

As taken apart, there are 5 3mm taped holes in the iron casting, four as seen in the second photo, and just visible in the end between the two mounting bolt holes. There are no matching holes in the nut. My guess is someone tapped holes trying to install a replacement nut, abandon the effort and went back to the factory broken nut with bodge repair. My guess is its unlikely anything metric was from the factory (its a '68 and nothing else is metric)

Do you have photos of when yours was apart to compare - is what I have indeed the factory nut? I would have expected the factor nut to be pinned. Just trying to understand the arrangement
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 07-23-2017, 09:48 PM.
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Sorry, no help with DSG.

Nice piece to replace the compound. I wonder what it should be called now since it's not a compound "slide". It could still be a "top" something.

Is it my imagination or is one slot wider than the others? Special application?
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
      Is it my imagination or is one slot wider than the others? Special application?
      Good eye. No master plan, just how things end up when you make it up as you go - cast iron whittling. I think the original notion was to mimic the compound T slot, however it probably wouldn't make any functional difference if I'd made them all the same.

Comment

Allen nuts would have allowed you smaller holes in that nice table.

Comment

and super glue would have allowed for no holes

Comment

Hmm I thought you may want adjustability.
            Allen nuts make for the smallest clearance hole for nuts. But hey some folks have never used or even seen them.

Comment

forget it, replacement nut piece is made

thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                forget it, replacement nut piece is made

thanks for the help
                Nah it doesnt work that way. We need photos and a how you went about it.Isnt a dsg an awsesome lathe ?

Comment

lol, yeah it is a great lathe. I'd solved the problem and shouldn't have bothered putting the extra photo up so figured I'd pack it in on this one. Solution was simple, bought bronze nut and made a new holder, holder bored in situ on the casting to accept the bronze nut.

Comment

Working...
                  X