Or 12 volt bat hookup for wench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Or 12 volt bat hookup for wench

I have a wench Iwant to set up on my truck in a stand alone set up i.e. No taping into the truck wiring. The wench has a remote and two red wires that are to be taped into a hot wire on the ign. Switch. The question. is could I hook these to the stand alone battery ? The wires have a 17 amp fuse an the battery is some 60 amps.

Steve
    If you want total security, go to prison.
    There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on.
    The only thing lacking...
    is freedom. Dwight D. Eisenhower

I got slapped the only time I tried to connect a battery to a wench, but my winches didn't mind at all.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Sure you can. Red wires to positive, black wire from frame of winch to negative.

Recharging battery is left as an exercise by the user.

Comment

Got rid of the wench, she didn't have much pull and got awlnch
        If you want total security, go to prison.
        There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on.
        The only thing lacking...
        is freedom. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

One or both of you is doing it wrong if you prefer a winch over a wench.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_r View Post
            One or both of you is doing it wrong if you prefer a winch over a wench.
            Or maybe they're just into the rough stuff.

Comment

Winch's go on bumpers, wench's ride in the front seat. You need 1 of each for a pick-up.

Had a buddy with a new winch motor that did not work, after several electricians looked at it, he asked me to come look. Paint on the new motor housing was preventing proper grounding. Put a ground wire directly to the motor and the problem was solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Abner View Post
                Winch's go on bumpers, wench's ride in the front seat. You need 1 of each for a pick-up.

Had a buddy with a new winch motor that did not work, after several electricians looked at it, he asked me to come look. Paint on the new motor housing was preventing proper grounding. Put a ground wire directly to the motor and the problem was solved.
                Abner that is true for Wench's also. If you give them a good ground they can wench better also.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Further to what BF just said, it's always good practice to take all the paint off of the wench in order to know if you've got a good one or not.
                  Last edited by Willy; 07-24-2017, 10:02 AM.
                  Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Would it be too late to mention I like mine slightly dirty.

Comment

If you're stuck in the mud chances are your wench/winch will get dirty & you too most likely.

Comment

Battery operated wenches don't sound like they'd be much fun.

As to independent battery, it will work, but few winches will operate for longer than a minute off battery alone.

Need specs on the winch, power/speed/weight rating etc before anyone can give serious advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kendall View Post
                          Battery operated wenches don't sound like they'd be much fun.
                          Neil Diamond wrote a song about his.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by winchman View Post
                            I got slapped the only time I tried to connect a battery to a wench, but my winches didn't mind at all.
                            The wench I tried it on wouldn't let me get close enough to be at any risk of a hickie from the battery connector. Well, at least not until I showed her I had a large bottle of chilled white wine......
                            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                              The wench I tried it on wouldn't let me get close enough to be at any risk of a hickie from the battery connector. Well, at least not until I showed her I had a large bottle of chilled white wine......
                              I believe that's what they use as a power source.

Comment

Working...
                              X