OT: My Well Traveled 3D Printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
    Shipping damage never ceases to amaze me.I average 15-20 parcels a week at work,most make it safe and sound,but there have been some memorable ones.Old Dominion once delivered a pallet with nothing left but a torn up cardboard box and a string of shrink wrap left,no sign of the two 400 amp disconnects we ordered.
    Oh and electric motors,every single solitary electric motor under 70 lbs with a base mount we have ordered,and there have been many,have arrived with the bases bent,all of them for going on 10 years.Despite the plywood bottoms,double wall bottoms and expandable foam packing,UPS can wreck a motor.
    You should ask UPS about what it takes to package to ship UPS.

They will, with a straight face, tell you to essentially put an amount equal to the product cost into an armor-plated package.. They actually and literally asked a former employer to make the packages proof against a 15 foot drop onto concrete. The reason was that the conveyor belts are that high to clear forklifts, and "they do back up sometimes, spilling packages off the edge".

They also told us that when chutes jammed, employees would get on top of the pile and jump up and down to clear it.... "they are not supposed to, but they do it anyway".

I have lots of UPS stories.... we shipped so much via UPS that we literally had a UPS trailer with both "UPS" and our logo painted on it.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      You should ask UPS about what it takes to package to ship UPS.

They will, with a straight face, tell you to essentially put an amount equal to the product cost into an armor-plated package.. They actually and literally asked a former employer to make the packages proof against a 15 foot drop onto concrete. The reason was that the conveyor belts are that high to clear forklifts, and "they do back up sometimes, spilling packages off the edge".

I saw firsthand what was causing this,a drop from waist high.It doesn't take much to bend a 56 frame motor base,even less if it lands on the corner. Marathon I noticed had started packing theirs bolted to a 1/2 wafer board with a 1/2 of builders foam underneath.Did no good,the wafer board would bust and the bolted corner would add leverage
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I spied our local postie walking down our street with a scrap of wrapping paper in one hand the a house brick in the other! Yes, a friend on the other side of the world had sent me one of his house bricks to include in my barbecue build!

Comment

It's one thing when cheap Chinese knockoffs are poor quality. However, I have to say, all of the R/C aircraft/UAV/drone stuff I've been buying, has been top notch quality that works 100% from Banggood. I'm already a VIP4 status. The shipping takes a while, but I always order when I'm working on the road, so I have toys to play with when I get home.

Comment

You guys are complaining?

Oh boy, let's compare postal systems... it'll make you feel better, honest.

Personally, I've now got a new record: 138 days to get a small packet from China. I don't think I've been able to leave feedback on 80% of the ebay orders I've done this year... too many days. It used to be fairly consistent, 40 days or so from China, with the odd surprise. I even received one package, regular slow shipping from China, in 7 days. No idea how they did that. Not now... packages from China are in the someday category.

The Canadian postal system is not making money on the stuff from China, particularly the small stuff that comes in envelopes instead of boxes. Seems these envelopes are too bulky to work with the automated envelope processing systems and can't be processed by the parcel box system either. They have to be hand processed, which is very expensive. So, in typical Canadian fashion, they decided they weren't going to bother even trying. Their official line is: you get what you pay for. When we have time, we'll deliver them but the stuff we make money on gets processed first. Canada Customs is saying the same thing. Too bad. It's a Canadian thing... if a service costs too much to deliver, ration it by making people wait. Doesn't matter if it's a doohickey from China or an MRI on your knee. Same attitude.

It might change for the better in 2018, when the new international rules come in, as they are making a different (more expensive) envelope packet class. There will no longer be the $1 shipping included stuff from China as that postal loophole is being plugged. Of course, stuff will get a little more expensive. Bound to happen sooner or later.
            http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
              It's one thing when cheap Chinese knockoffs are poor quality. However, I have to say, all of the R/C aircraft/UAV/drone stuff I've been buying, has been top notch quality that works 100% from Banggood. I'm already a VIP4 status. The shipping takes a while, but I always order when I'm working on the road, so I have toys to play with when I get home.
              Same here,all of the lathe tooling I have bought from them works just fine as do all of the electronic parts.

Comment

Originally posted by fixerdave View Post

I think Canada Post has been screwy for awhile.I gave up on shipping anything I sold on Ebay to Canada.Single biggest reason were the flaky delivery times.I can understand it taking a few weeks to get something delivered out in the sticks,but Toronto???

I would end up with a folder full of uncompleted Ebay sales I couldn't close out because the customer hadn't received their items yet.I don't like having unfinished business laying around since it stresses me out,so I quit.

Comment

Originally posted by fixerdave View Post

OMG !!! I ACTUALLY do feel better. Not kidding.

thanks
                  John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Yeah! It's in Memphis again!

Comment

haven't trusted UPS for a number of years now. We order about a dozen Baldo right angle gear motors a year. We specifically request baldor ship them FedEx since, so far, Fed Ex hasn't broken one, yet. What's really cool in my area is that McMaster-Carr will courier stuff to us if we order it before ten AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt View Post
                        haven't trusted UPS for a number of years now.......................................
                        I second that! They lost a priceless motorcycle oil tank at one of their hubs. I had insured it for $800.00 and when I went to try to find another found that $1500.00 wouldn't even get one. So I wrote to the CEO directly asking to consider paying an additional $400.00 the tank's owner would have preferred.

The CEO didn't have the decency to reply, instead handing it off to the chain of command.

During my conversation w/the rep who ended up with my request she let it slip that if I had insured it for an amount they decided was excessive, they would only pay what they felt was 'reasonable'. This of course means that regardless of the insured amount a person pays, they will decide what you get for their inability to deliver.

After 37 years of dealing w/UPS never again.

Concerning USPS and their oft quoted motto, "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds", when we moved to a WV mountain where we were about 25 minutes from a four lane hwy. We couldn't get PO or local school bus service. Even though we were fairly easy to get to, WV no longer maintained the road so you had to come up on the VA side and cross over the state line once near us.

Seems that USPS should clarify the quoted statement by adding, "Unless we don't want to".
                        Last edited by jhe.1973; 07-29-2017, 06:22 PM.
                        Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Comment

Sorry Jim, Not sure I agree with your gripe. You admit that you under insured it. Then because of a comment from a
                          rep, you feel sure that they would not have given you the 1500 even if you would have insured it for that amount.

Not sure what you are complaining about.
                          John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
                            Sorry Jim, Not sure I agree with your gripe. You admit that you under insured it. Then because of a comment from a
                            rep, you feel sure that they would not have given you the 1500 even if you would have insured it for that amount.

Not sure what you are complaining about.
                            My complaint(s) are that trying to reach someone in authority fell on deaf ears. I pointed out that integrity (to me at least) includes not taking advantage of someone's mistake. i.e. returning too much change given by a checkout person (as an example).

I freely admitted that I had under-insured the tank because the last one I had a record of sold for the $800.00 figure at eBay.

Another other detail was that they don't even take responsibility for losing something saying, "Your package experienced an exception". As if a package can experience anything.

When talking w/rep she said they had contacted a HD dealer in the PHX area that had a museum of bikes on display. I met with this dealer to find out just what he told UPS. He admitted that he had not been in the market for classic bikes/parts for years and had no idea (as I didn't either) how fast eBay was driving prices up.

As far as not paying a higher amount, that is precisely what the rep admitted plus they choose the 'expert' who in this case had no current experience.

I just remembered something else, I also had included a letter from a well known collector who has bought out at least one foreign factory and been in the market for decades. He established the value at $1500.00 and said that even he wouldn't sell one for that price.

It seems to me that maintaining customer good will sometimes comes with the responsibility to put yourself in another person's shoes and if necessary step outside whatever policy you might have in place.

I felt, and still do, that the owner of the tank was being generous at being willing to settle for $1200.00. I also still feel that an additional $400.00 could have easily come out of the UPS ad budget and be written off as a goodwill gesture.

If UPS had stepped up, I wouldn't even be writing this, but rather I would be describing my respect for the company.

I guess I'm really old school having grown up in my dad's shop and seen him swallow different things a few time in the name of doing right. I see a lot of small steps on the part of UPS that add up to a position of a company that sees itself as above the customer - not as an equal. I don't deal with individuals like that and I see no reason to deal w/companies like that.

So, don't know if this clarifies my stand, but thanks for giving me the chance to offer more info.

P.S. Thanks also Mike for explaining yourself w/o being challenging/confrontational.
                            Last edited by jhe.1973; 07-29-2017, 07:52 PM.
                            Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Comment

On a damage claim I do know that UPS will look at the weight rating of the box and if the weight of the item shipped in it is even one ounce heavier than the rating good luck getting your money.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                                Geez,how can USPS possibly make any money???? I ordered a 3D printer off Bang Good three weeks ago.It arrived in the US two weeks ago.First trip was from Shanghai to New Jersey,then from NJ to Chicago,then back to Pittsburgh,Then down to Memphis (300 miles due north from me) did I get it?Nope,had to go to San Antonio first,then on to Atlanta.

I can't wait until tomorrow when I get another update as to where it is now,meanwhile I know where it isn't

Anyone want to take bets where it will be tomorrow?Since Atlanta is only 600 miles away I'm thinking either Iceland or Poland
                                I think that someone booked it on a cruise by mistake!

Sorry to hear that your package might be more well traveled than most of us.

Hmmmm, my wife and I would like to see more of this country. Maybe we should look into Chinese shipping and its American cousin?
                                Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X