first valve now burner question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first valve now burner question

I posted a ? about how to make a valve and got some very good advice, so good I made a simple one and it works, but now I need some help on the burner. It burns like a candle, and lacks the blue intense flame of the handheld butane torch I took the burner tip (pictured below, hopefully) from. I am using the same fuel so what is wrong? Any help is needed. Scott.

http://lathegear.com/13cc24e0.jpg
    \"Be skeptical of any perpetual-motion proposal in which the assumed motion causes no change in the position of the center of mass of any part of the system\"

Try picture again:
    \"Be skeptical of any perpetual-motion proposal in which the assumed motion causes no change in the position of the center of mass of any part of the system\"

Comment

It appears that it's burning just the fuel and no oxygen (air) is being added to the flame to give it the characteristic blue color. Least that's how it looks.

Comment

I suspect you are right, this was suggested on another forum but how would I get air into the mixture? The only way I can think of is to drill some small holes around the tube by the burner tip. I wonder if this is a pressure problem too. The original torch had a very small orafice in the supply tube, I don't have a drill that small anymore, Scott.

Comment

Small drill BIT that is... can someone tell me where the edit button is on here?

Comment

The burner in backyard casting's page is a piece of 3/4" pipe with 7/32 holes drilled in it to add air.. It has a flare or funnel on the end, when a burner is outside the furnace it must have a sheetmetal tip to make the flame look right.

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/ the site...

No connection..

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-11-2005).]

Comment

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/rolledflares.html

Comment

Aha! You have answered my question in more ways than one with that link. I have very little pressure to pull the air through the orifices (I checked and the tip does havem) on the tip. I need to put some sort of reducer in-line by the burner tip. Plus a shroud. Appreciate the help, ibewgypsie.

Scott.

Comment

I put a weed burner in one furnace.. I got it on sale less than $20.. took a tubing bender and folded a 90 on the end.. I first used it under grandma's old iron pot to cook some food...

I think I remember Spence using the same deal..

--

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-11-2005).]

Comment

Working...
                  X