Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 pro, performance increase....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 pro, performance increase....

Here's the deal...I downloaded a CAD program demo to my Win 7 pro desktop. Worked fine.

I purchased the CAD program, loaded it onto my Win 10 pro laptop (only one installation allowed). It was sluggish on the laptop, which became obvious by how fast it was on the desktop system although the processors, memory, etc are almost identical. Other graphic and design software loaded to both systems showed no noticeable differences between the two computers

Snooping around the control panel in Win 10 under "system and security" I found a tab for performance. My system was set for "let Windows decide on performance". Another choice was something like "increase performance". I chose the increase option. That seems to have supercharged the system performance in the CAD program. So far I haven't seen any downside of this choice in other uses.

It's not clear to me what this is all about. Why would Windows have chosen a less performance oriented option?

On edit: I just noticed the same option is available in the control panel on the Win 7 pro desktop.
    Last edited by DR; 07-26-2017, 02:06 PM.

For laptops, it saves battery life. On Desktops, it puts a smile on Al Gore's face.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
      For laptops, it saves battery life. On Desktops, it puts a smile on Al Gore's face.
      Maybe.....burt the desktop is set to let Windows decide.

If it's mostly for the battery on the laptop that's okay. I use it 90% or more with it plugged into wall power, just indifferent locations.

Comment

I don't know if this still applies, but older Windows versions would turn off some optimizations after a crash. So if the video driver caused a BSOD, it would turn off some of the graphics optimizations at the next reboot.

Comment

In Windows XP that setting allowed you to trade off between performance and "eye candy" (smooth scrolling, fade in/out, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
            ... It's not clear to me what this is all about. Why would Windows have chosen a less performance oriented option? ...
            Battery life, as already mentioned. Fan noise is another reason. The less throttled-down the system, the hotter it runs, the faster it needs to run the fans. Some people don't enjoy listening to howling fans. As well, I've actually seen older laptops that will overheat and crash when left in a high performance mode. Plugged up heatsinks, sometimes the thermal connection to the processor, sometimes an unknown... dial them down and they keep working.

As for CAD performance, the video card and driver can make a big difference, a lot more than it will with photoshop-like apps.

David...
            http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X