Dovetail dimensions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dovetail dimensions?

I'm working on a new holder for my dial test indicator, and got to thinking about making a cutter for the dovetail on the dti. I looked in the Starrett
    catalog, only to be disappointed. The catalog says "standard dovetail" Any one have any idea where to look for spec's?

TIA, TC
    I cut it off twice; it's still too short
    Oregon, USA

Just measure it. You can eyeball the angle with a protractor so you know what cutter to buy.
    Get two small gage/ dowel pins that fit in the dovetail, but stick out beyond the end of the dovetail.
    Measure width with a micrometer. Machinery's handbook has details on measuring dovetails over pins.

Comment

Isn't a 'standard' dovetail 60 degrees? I can't imagine the width would be standardized, but I'd imagine making it fit your indicator would be a matter of measuring over pins like Erich mentioned

Comment

That dovetail SHOULD be a standard, but it will be a standard gage dovetail, per the AGD (American Gage Design) standards. You can probably get the standard, no doubt for several hundred bucks..... That's about par for standards documents.

It may have also been accepted as an ANSI standard, no discount there.
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

There's a drawing here: http://www.longislandindicator.com/p201.html

They also say they SHOULD be standard but don't seem to have full confidence.

Comment

Some "standard?" dove tail dimensions - generic included:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=d...w=1536&bih=719

https://www.google.com.au/search?sit...k1.hVbS7tWEmvQ

As always, Machinery's Hand Book is as good a start for dove-tail dimensions.

Comment

For one that small I wouldn't even bother making a cutter (unless of course it's just something that you want to do). I hand filed mine, started with a notch cut by a small square file then cut the dovetails with a triangular file that I ground a safety side onto. Tiny dovetails like this really don't take long to cut by hand.

Max
              http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

Machinery's Handbook should have plenty of info on Dovetails.

Comment

Just grind a cutter to fit, by eye, mounted on a boring bar. Then turn that with collet or chuck...easy.

Comment

Like Mars-Red I simply milled a shallow square slot then hand filed the dovetails using a triangular file with one side ground off far enough that the corner bevel was removed and it cut a sharp apex. I think it might have taken me as much as 5 to 6 minute to create a nice fitting dovetail for the holder.

If you're going to do a bunch of them that's different. Then it would make sense to make or buy a suitable cutter.
                    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I would just measure it. Yes, use pins. It is either 60 or 45 degrees and that you can eyeball.

As for a cutter, they are not that expensive and the smaller they are, the less expensive they will be. Here are some 3/8" ones:

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...8&sortby=price

I would suggest aluminum for your first attempt at this. And remember to hog out the center with a square tipped end mill so the dovetail cutter has less to cut. On second thought, for a small dovetail for a DTI, you will probably need to make it in two pieces.
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Take a diamant file to an old endmill. Will take 10 minutes to reshape the lips. And the endproduct will looklike it has been properly made. Slow rpm.
                        I do not get the lips even, but they even each other out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
                          The catalog says "standard dovetail" Any one have any idea where to look for spec's?
                          That statement just screams "Measure me.". Which standard? For all you know it's a standard Starrett 52 degree dovetail.

Comment

So what size pins would you use ? And how will you measure between them ? Guage pin maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                              So what size pins would you use ? And how will you measure between them ? Guage pin maybe?
                              yeah, and the dovetails are about 50 thou deep, maybe, so getting a good angle measurement should be interesting.....
                              CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Working...
                              X