Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strokersix
    replied
    I think 10w30 would work great. One caution however, is modern oils have detergents. If this engine has been run with non-detergent oil there will be sludge accumulations. Modern detergent oil can loosen the sludge and potentially damage the engine.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    How old is it? might have been "pre-multi viscosity era"

My take on it is this,,, the greater the range of multi-vis. the more polymers they have to add to the oil, this makes the oil subject to thermal breakdown, but with the invent of synthetics and better base stocks you can actually achieve great protection - there is actually synthetics that cover a 0 w 50 range and have great protection against thermal breakdown,

I don't recommend you run synthetics in and old tractor like that though - multiple reasons - increased leakage and burning to name a few not to mention just plain overkill and having to toss it out early and not get your money's worth due to excessive blow-bye contaminants

so what to do? I see nothing wrong with going a 10W30 Castrol or Valvoline conventional oil and as far as being worried about thermal break-down not a chance, that engine does not produce enough power or heat to hurt itself as it can barely get out of it's own way in the first place...

Leave a comment:

• pgmrdan
    started a topic Multi-viscosity motor oil question.

Multi-viscosity motor oil question.

Working on an old tractor. Manual calls for using 10 weight oil for temperatures below 10* F, 20 weight oil for temperatures between 10* F and 60* F, and 30 weight oil for temperatures above 60* F.

Is this the ideal situation for using 10w-30 oil? Any negatives? Should be a no-brainer for me but just want to make certain.

Don't think I've seen a straight 10 weight oil or straight 20 weight oil for quite some time so I may not have any choice but to substitute.
    Last edited by ; 07-27-2017, 10:38 AM.
Working...
X