Less than full sized mill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less than full sized mill?

I guess I'm not fully convinced at a need for a full sized Bridgeport or Sharp or Acer, et al but neither do I want a 6x26.

What's available and decent at 3/4 size?
    Len

Something like a jet or pm 836 would fit the bill

Comment

I sure like my Millrite. It's perfect for 99% of what I do, but there is that 1% where a little more table travel would simplify things.
      Southwest Utah

Comment

If you have the room, why not? Why compete with the buyer's for Rockwell, Millrite, etc.
        You're not exactly living in a machine tool desert, should be plenty of BP and BP type mills available.

Comment

I've been eying this 8x30 Grizzly G0678, I couldn't get a full mill in my basement even if if I had the headroom.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
            If you have the room, why not?
            I agree. It doesn't take much to hit one of a mill's limits. You can work around it, but it's nicer if you don't have to. If you're going 3/4, then may as well go full-sized.

Comment

I normally am of the "better to have it than need it" but I'm on the backside of the bell curve and don't foresee anymore big projects.
              That, of course, is when it bites you in the ass.
              Len

Comment

A friend has the Grizzly mill shown above. It's a pretty nice machine. He likes it a lot.
                Kansas City area

Comment

Millrite with the larger table.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
                    I've been eying this 8x30 Grizzly G0678, I couldn't get a full mill in my basement even if if I had the headroom.

I have one based on the same design. It's really nice and can take pretty big bites but has one drawback. There is no ram to extend your Y axis. That's not always a problem but every once in a while it would be nice to have more room between the cutter and the column.

Dan
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I downsized from a Cincinnati Toolmaster to my millrite. Nothing wrong with the toolmaster, solid nice machine, but
                      it was a beast to move around and just felt "too big" for my shop.

My Millrite (with bigger table) is just perfect.

I understand that work capability is a big part of the formula, but like many things in life, some peoples priorities
                      are just different and should be respected.
                      John Titor, when are you.

Comment

If you have a choice, opt for R8, there's lots of tooling available.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
                          I got a very similar knee model but one size down. My table being 6x26, 13 inch from spindle to table and just 6 and a bit inches from the column dovetail to spindle center. But for me it was a huge upgrade from my previous mill which was a smaller model (RF25?) round column mill/drill.

I've come close on occasion to needing more room from spindle to column. But if I'm careful it's been OK. I'm sure it will happen at some point. But if I bought all my tools to handle that "once a decade" sort of job there would not be any room for me in the shop. So I'm satisfied with a machine which fits well for my regular projects and is still a big step up from what I had.

I'd also consider the G0768 shown in your post to be a lovely match size wise for a 12x36 lathe for the most part. The mill I got, while it's proven to be a great performer, is likely going to be found too small in some manner about once every 3 to 5 years where the slightly larger overall table and room between column and spindle on the Griz' will turn that sort of issue into more of a once per decade thing.

This whole Bridgeport or Bridgeport clone size thing keeps coming up in thread after thread. The simple truth that some of you folks fail to recognize is that not everyone has room for a B'port or actually NEEDS a B'port for their own particular size range of NORMAL projects. It's certainly nice to have something in reserve but that does not automatically mean a B'port is the answer.
                          Last edited by BCRider; 07-31-2017, 04:31 PM.
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
                            I guess I'm not fully convinced at a need for a full sized Bridgeport or Sharp or Acer, et al but neither do I want a 6x26.

What's available and decent at 3/4 size?
                            Well, as I posted above for me the 6x26 was my UPgrade. I don't foresee this being a bad choice for what I've done in the past and will do in the future. I posted that I'll likely run into an item that won't fit around once ever 3 to 5 years. So far it's coming up on 3 years and I've not found anything that won't fit and let me work on the spots I need to work on.
                            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                              The simple truth that some of you folks fail to recognize is that not everyone has room for a B'port or actually NEEDS a B'port for their own particular size range of NORMAL projects. It's certainly nice to have something in reserve but that does not automatically mean a B'port is the answer.
                              Sure, but isn't a 3/4 mill going to take up almost as much room as a full-sized one? Len said that he is "not fully convinced" that he needs a full-sized mill. Didn't say he didn't have the room or money for one.

I thought my mill was huge before I bought it. Not so much these days. If I had to downsize, I would get a smaller lathe before going for a smaller mill. All our needs are different, but I'm not fully convinced that Len is fully convinced that he wants a 3/4 mill He even said so in the OP.

Comment

Working...
                              X