Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Tool grinder" wheels- what do they call them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tool grinder" wheels- what do they call them?

I had a reader ask me this, and I was wondering it myself as I've been looking for a couple of wheels as well.

Those (in)famous Baldor-clone "tool" grinders, that take the wheels mounted to an aluminum plate, and attached with four bolts? What do they call those? I thought they were called 'flanged' wheels, but that's not picking anything up.

They used to be easy to find in the old ENCO sales-flyer catalogs (that's how long it's been since I last bought one ) but right now the only ones I can find are on McMaster ($150 each, all diamond) or MSC ($150 to $300 each, again only diamond.)

Looking around for a less expensive version brings up basically nothing, and I suspect it's because I'm looking using the wrong keywords.

Any help?

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

They are Type 50 also called plate mounted wheels. KBC sells several prices in the $40 US range.

Comment

Travers has them, and calls them "Plate Mounted Wheels" and "Straight Cup Wheels."

http://www.travers.com/straight-cup-...eels/c/297935/

I just bought one of the white aluminum oxide wheels and installed it yesterday. It's a bit out of balance, because it's a bit out of round, but it will work for what I need. I don't know if there is any feasible way to true one of these, especially the inside face.

Comment

If you want the diamond version search for- 6" Diamond Grinding Wheels - Type D6A2C

CDCO Tools has them for $70ish I bought mine there,it worked fine.

http://www.cdcotools.com/
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

The only wheels I've ever seen that were what you call plate mount is the 6A2T style. I have one in diamond. the abrasive is mounted on the face or outer side as opposed to the outer dia.
          It has 4 counter sunk holes and a 1 1/4" arbor hole. I use it on my bench grinder to touch up carbide tooling. I've also seen them in the cup style 11A1 I think.

JL....................

Comment

I once thought of asking here if anyone knew of an adhesive that would bond a grinding wheel safely to a plate. Then one could machine the plate, bond a 6x1x1-1/4 wheel to the plate, mount it on a bench grinder then with a handheld diamond dresser remove the center to gain access to the four mounting holes. Finish dressing could be done on the tool grinder. If this would be possible then you could make a plate mounted wheel of any grade and give a lot more choices than just the 46 grit that I could ever find That question probably would have gotten me arrested by the internet safety police so I never asked it.
            Last edited by Nicholas; 08-03-2017, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas View Post
              I once thought of asking here if anyone knew of an adhesive that would bond a grinding wheel safely to a plate. Then one could machine the plate, bond a 6x1x1-1/4 wheel to the plate, mount it on a bench grinder then with a handheld diamond dresser remove the center to gain access to the four mounting holes. Finish dressing could be done on the tool grinder. If this would be possible then you could make a plate mounted wheel of any grade and give a lot more choices than just the 46 grit that I could ever find That question probably would have gotten me arrested by the internet safety police so I never asked it.
              Bodge up your own plate mounted wheels?
              It's spinning at 3650RPM, are you Eff'in nuts?

Comment

Working...
              X