Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to purchase tooling and cutters etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to purchase tooling and cutters etc.

Now that the dust has long settled on the ENCO thing and the MSC deals just didn't pan out like they were promised, where does everybody purchase their good american made tooling and measurement devices. Is there anybody that offers legitimate sales on the items that we need and use, like 25% off of brand name items, not just up to 20% off on a box of fasteners.
    I would like to purchase a new Starrett indicator but I don't want to pay full manufactures retail prices.

Thanks

Jack
    Builder of model Gas Engines and stationary steam engines.
    I'm Happy because I am retired

I've been buying some tooling from Fastenal and McMaster-Carr, but haven't seen the Enco-esque big sales from either one.

I've bought a few tools from Amazon but it's such a pain wading through all the chinese junk and 6-8 week shipping items that it's usually not worth the hassle IMO.

Comment

...and McMaster-Carr, but haven't seen the Enco-esque big sales from either one...
      I've never seen McMaster have a sale, but am constantly impressed by the quality, availability and uniformity of their products.

I've noticed a lot of tooling I've purchased from McM sourced from Poland -all good stuff, but my in-laws, my wife, and by extension, my children are pretty much Polish - all good people, so I may have an influenced opinion. I am the only one in the family who has no ethnic identity - my people are mostly English.
      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Sources I've used in the last year...

MSC (make sure you login to see your pricing)
        Travers Tool
        KBC Tools
        Lakeshore Carbide
        McMaster-Carr

Comment

Kbc, and eBay are pretty Good..

Comment

I've used T&S Tool & Supply in Toledo lately. Their prices are pretty much "retail", but not all that bad. My latest buy from them was a 5/8"-11 LH tap, it was $19.50 including tax. Web site is tstool.com, phone is (419) 866-5507. They're local for me, which is nice; they had that tap in stock even.

Comment

Years ago I started out buying my stuff from Travers. Then for a while I used MSC. These days I mostly use McMaster-Carr. There are no bargains, but on the other hand you're pretty much guaranteed there will be no junk. Their shipping charges are reasonable, and delivery is pretty fast. Sometimes I check EBay to see if I can find a deal on whatever it is I'm looking for.
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I've been buying from http://www.cgstool.com/
                This company has absolutely outstanding quality, made in USA and really good prices. They have a roughing endmill called 'The Beast' and it is excellent. They also have re-grinds and cut-offs (stubby endmills that retain new diameter) which are very affordable. I've had great service from them. No connection other than being a satisfied buyer.

Comment

I really like Travers. They seem to have a better selection of quality tools than Enco did, especially in their monthly flyer. Enco was always about trying to sell the cheap tools that had a big markup. Travers has it too, but they at least put the good stuff on sale regularly too.
                  Stuart de Haro

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
                    I've been buying from http://www.cgstool.com/
                    This company has absolutely outstanding quality, made in USA and really good prices. They have a roughing endmill called 'The Beast' and it is excellent. They also have re-grinds and cut-offs (stubby endmills that retain new diameter) which are very affordable. I've had great service from them. No connection other than being a satisfied buyer.
                    Chipmaker, thanks for the recommendation on these guys. I bought a couple of their 1/2" carbide cut-off endmills to try out and am very impressed.

Comment

I've bought from Travers for several years now, and have always been pleased with the products and service.

I've bought a few items from Victor (victornet.com) (one of the advertisers on this board) and they seem OK, too.

Just within the past couple of weeks I bought a pair of Dorian left and right threading tools with inserts from another board advertiser, Kodiak. The prices were right, the service was super. My questions were answered knowledgeably, and shipping was nearly instant (order and pay at noon, and the goods were shipped out by about 10:00 pm.

Comment

I don't understand why everyone has a case of red-rump for MSC.
                        I had an Enco account before and MSC still gives me Enco prices on everything I've bought since the change as if nothing happened.

Now KBC however scares the stuffing right out of me!
                        Len

Comment

Why ?

Comment

If you ever get something you are unhappy with from McMaster Carr call them and say so. They will take it back no questions asked and offer to supply something else right while you are on the line. On small stuff they have sometimes told me to toss it and they shipped me the right stuff free of charge!

I live near them and knew someone working there. You cannot believe the stuff that gets returned! About 2 40' trailers full each week. Sounds like a lot, but not when you ship 25 trailer loads every day. They've been in business about 120 years, I've only dealt with them for a little over 40. Amazing how well they made the transition to the internet!

Comment

Since no on else mentioned it, I will.

Take a look at Banggood.com

You can find pretty much everything you want there. No, it's not American tools but most of it is pretty good quality and the prices are right. Free shipping from China. Some things will take only a week. And others will take a month or more. So, if you are not in a hurry, it's great. And you don't need to wait until you have enough to order to get free shipping. I's free all the time. Spend $3, free shipping. Spend $10, free shipping.

The best is that the customer service is really good. If you get the wrong thing shipped or an item does'nt show up. Write to customer support and you'll get a refund immediately. If they sent you the wrong thing, they will resend the right thing or refund, as you wish, and you will even get to keep the wrong item!

I don't think you can go wrong. Look at their carbide tooling to start.

Comment

Working...
                              X