Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Old Tony's Go Cart Build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxNAeVwsGvE

Part 4, completion. Over 86,000 views one day after he posted it!

Congratulations, Tony. Nice work.

Dan L
    “All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party.” (Problems of War and Strategy, Nov 6 1938, published in “Selected Works of Mao Zedong,” 1965)

So Tony discovered that those Harbor Freight wheels don't wear very well. I used to be all about go-karts, in fact building my own go-karts is what got me started in machining and the reason I joined this forum back when I was just a kid in school. Back then, I'd wait for those HF wheels to go on sale for $4.99 each and buy a huge stack of them. It got to the point where I was basically swapping out tires every time I filled the gas tank!

Then I bought real go-kart tires. They lasted much longer... given all the miles me and my friend put on that thing, it was a good investment

Comment

Nice work and nice HTP invertig, that's what im going to get when I get rich like Tony

Comment

One thing I didn't see was a roll bar and it needs a roll bar and seat belt because sh!t happens.

Comment

It's only a kid...you can always make more, right?

Comment

Originally posted by dave_r View Post
            It's only a kid...you can always make more, right?
            Exactly..... lol

Every time I crashed my motorcycle and messed the bike up, people would say "well at least your ok, that's the important thing". I'd reply with "bones and skin heal and regenerate, but I've never seen a set of forks straighten themselves out yet".

My kids are getting to the age where a motorized vehicle is doable. I got them one of those battery operated john deere gators, but it's useless in the grass and hills, which is exactly where I want them to drive on. Been tossing some ideas around, and collecting parts for a gas powered Jeep build. I'm no you tube star..... but I'll post up some picture here of the build.

Oh, and good job on the cart Tony. The kids will love it and remember it forever. I still remember the wooden one my dad built for me. It unfortunately was a push cart, but I had a neighbor friend for that..... I got a chuckle about the part about the "has to have a key". Mine had to have an oil dipstick, so I could check the oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
              One thing I didn't see was a roll bar and it needs a roll bar and seat belt because sh!t happens.
              Did not even notice that because I was so amazed at his birdcage frame work (Tony could build Ducati's and Ferrari's)

but I agree - a roll over going forward could be a little rough on the neck when the head goes back behind the seat and the body doesn't want to follow.

Comment

After showing it circling the track at 4X speed he showed the video at normal speed. To me it looked like it was moving about 5 MPH or so. Is there
                really any chance of rolling this thing at that speed?

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                  Cars, yes. Karts, no. At least in road racing karts. They're treated like motorcycles. You want to be able to get away from them if bad things happen. Standard safety gear consists of full face helmet, abrasion resistant suit, and neck brace aka "horse collar". No roll bar or belts.

Now if he plans on taking it off road, all bets are off.
                  Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

It varies - some have roll bars with multi-point belts and some don't

Tony's kids will probably be just fine --- the trouble starts when you introduce them on a track with others and they are all "open wheel"

open wheel creates all kinds of flipping problems and the better the tires the more this becomes a reality,,,
                    rear guy bumps his front tire into the lead guys rear tire and turns into a kite...

like two pieces of hot bubble gum sticking together but going in opposite directions - one tire just gets pushed into the ground more - other tire gets shot into the sky like a cannon....

Comment

Hey Thanks Dan! I haven't clocked the kart, but the numbers say it should do ~20mph at full throttle. I've got it knocked back a bit, top speed is maybe 15mph?

Unfortunately I don't have the ground clearance to let them run it on anything but asphalt. The low spot is the disc brake, maybe 1.5-2" off the ground. If I ever find bigger tires (or a smaller brake?).. and they outgrow that little engine, I'll add a roll bar and belts.

I've been amazed at how quickly the kid (5 yo) has figured out the steering. I can see him start to open up toward the outside just in time to turn the kart around in the space he thinks he has available. He only really got "stuck" once, couldn't make the turn, stopped the kart, got out... manually doing a 3 point turn, essentially.

Fun project, not TOO much work, but I did cut more than a few corners (welding where I should have made machined, bolted connections).

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post

Fun project, not TOO much work, but I did cut more than a few corners (welding where I should have made machined, bolted connections).

Tony, I think you've been hanging around Stefan a little too much .

Really nice build.

It's a ton of work just for the videos and it is really tempting at times to leave the camera off and just get the job done.

Glad to see it is well received on Youtube as well. You and Chris have the machining crowd and it has spilled over into the general audience. It's great to see, and it's refreshing that at least some people are watching something worthwhile and educational. The general population has to see it is fun, and rewarding to work with your hands.
                        www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                          After showing it circling the track at 4X speed he showed the video at normal speed. To me it looked like it was moving about 5 MPH or so. Is there
                          really any chance of rolling this thing at that speed?
                          I was thinking the same thing, watching the video at normal speed I'd be shocked if that cart broke 10mph

Comment

The motor could be lower in the frame. I build one similar, though did use a 6HP Honda single cylinder stationary engine, and it had a tendency to tip if cornered at speed to the right (motor is on the left).

The kids did get many many hours of use out of it though. Turned the grass in the back yard to dirt track smooth in no time.

Later when we moved house the cart came with us but was unusable on the "more bumpy" turf and driveway of the new location ... simply too hard on the back and the wheels did not keep traction.

Changed to small quad bikes ... these from a frames perspective had to be treated as Chinese kitsets ... lotsa mods made to keep'em'running but fun none the less.

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
                              I was thinking the same thing, watching the video at normal speed I'd be shocked if that cart broke 10mph
                              Oh - I guess I got kinda fooled by the intro and the massive burn out and the act of laying down flames, damn - and by the sound of it I thought it was a V/8, lol

Comment

Working...
                              X