Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now is this a nice clean and safe shop or what ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fjk
    replied
    Serious question (sorry to hijack the thread:-)

Showing a machine in its "natural habitats", as it were, may also give a hint to how well it's been cared for, how heavily it's been used (and abused), and so on. Cleaning it, and the shop, up can hide a lot of clues, damage or wear... yes?

I mean, the open electrical panel screams "look at me! Badness could be lurking here!" (Damage, corrosion, oil soaking into things that should not be oil soaked, dangerous dust and chip buildup, etc. a clean, covered, one otoh, might not get a second look as it's "obviously well maintained and cared for"

Frank

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Some people are just plain sloppy. I couldn't live like that.

JL.....................

Leave a comment:

• Ian B
    replied
    I bet Prince Philip would have something to say about that wiring

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Alistair Hosie
    replied
    Reggie sorry ! old pal did you also not receive my begging letter. Anyway even with your kind but slim cheque it is not on the top of my a list. I needs tah get those Teflon scantieloon drawers, them old uns is a gitting kindah wah wah wiffy after forty years of constant wear so would yours. I have been dreaming of the top class pair of rhinestone beefcake scanties just need them so-ass the gyurls will go crazy. Unfortunately they are not made with a Teflon lining which nowadays is a must. My friend across the road insulted me today said I am putting on weight his wife said I looked like a beach ball with arms and legs. damned nerve if I want insulting my old pal Geoge can do it better than anyone. He said I gotta face like a Bull dog sucking some razor wire. huh Alistair Sorry guys need ta go a feels al lil tear coming on. Sing along guys Oh lawd itsah hard to be hum bell wan yah guts better lookin each daaaaaaayah .

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Alistair, you were making such a fuss about the condition of the man's shop that you forgot to bid.
    Lucky for you, he re-listed it:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/beavermill.../132287954864?

Leave a comment:

• Yondering
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
    If you can stand flat footed in front of the machine,that's good enough
    Does that have to be with both feet?

Leave a comment:

• Alistair Hosie
    replied
    The mess does not suit my minds eye. I get cluttered up when doing a project like everyone does but usually will try through out the project to return stuff to their allocated spaces and also clean up well and hoover going every quarter of an hour despite good dust collectors. it comes to a head when there is a tripping hazard from clutter. I also agree that when selling you should have the common sense (it seems to me) to make the item for sale look as well as can be expected. It is after all what most right minded people would do. Would you sell your car with photo's of it covered in mud? My biggest problem is to keep using my workbench for a shelf when I need to use it it is more trouble moving everything and I end up using a wooden board on a stool or something just as daft. Also a good point about the machines exposed wiring, I did name the post stating dangerous workshop imho Al

Leave a comment:

• CCWKen
    replied
    The machine is missing a lot of parts. Maybe they're on the floor somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• krutch
    replied
    Hey, at least you can see the machine!

Leave a comment:

• KiddZimaHater
    replied
    I've worked in dirtier shops than that.
    (I went to an interview once, and it was like walking thru a Haunted House!!!)
    the only thing that concerns me about those pictures is the open electrical mess on the side of the mill.

Leave a comment:

• AD5MB
    replied
    the writeup about it demonstrates that the shop is as organized as his mind.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    If you can stand flat footed in front of the machine,that's good enough

Leave a comment:

• polaraligned
    replied
    I think if you really want to sell a machine, you need to clean it and the area around it. It just conveys the image that you took care of the machine.

Leave a comment:

• SirLesPatterson
    replied
    I like to see photos of filthy shops. They make me feel better about my shop which has currently relapsed to it's 50% caca state and is heading downhill fast. It becomes clean about once or twice a year, usually winter. It's not really filth but mostly tools and junk piled up because I can't seem to put things away while I'm working.

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Alistair are you thinking of bidding on this machine? I think it would make for a good rehabilitation project for the winter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X