Changes made during DRO install on Craftex Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes made during DRO install on Craftex Mill

I finally got the X and Y axis scales installed. I previously posted the install of the Z axis/ quill scale. I used the DRO Pros 3 axis kit and basically followed Brian Rupnow's thread with the following changes.
    After getting the Y axis scale in place I noticed the plastic cover on the power feed gears was going to contact the top of the scale cover. I was a relatively easy task to deepen the slots and trim the top off on each side to raise the cover up about 1/4" and still have lots of clearance under the bottom gear.

Larry - west coast of Canada

Also the inside of the Y axis scale seemed quit open and could have swarf fly in there so a made a thin aluminum shield to bolt to the inside of the scale cover to help keep it cleaner.

Comment

On the X axis rather than drill more holes in the table carriage, which looked like a tricky operation I decided to use the three existing holes and run an aluminum bar across to hold the reader head and attach the rubber shield to. In hind sight I am not sure this was at all easier as there wasn't a lot of room under the bar to get the read head bolts in and mount the angle iron I used to attach the rubber shield. I had to make a special wrench to tight the bolts.

I used a Lexan wiper strip to seal against the back of the X axis cover and shortened the rubber shield by a couple of inches before reinstalling it due to the shorter distance and also to help keep it from jammed by the carriage when it is close to the back of it's travel, like it used to do.

Last edited by Cuttings; 08-09-2017, 01:25 AM.

Comment

The last change I made was to use the supplied cover for the X axis scale by sawing off the upper flange then carefully milling the edge true so that it just fit over the scale with the required 3mm clearance. I wasn't sure this would work but by using a 3/4" 4 flute mill and running it so that just the edge of the mill contacted the flange on the cover it worked well because the cut was in line with the cover not across it, I replaced the plastic ends with aluminum mounting blocks similar to the way Brian mounted his angle iron. Once the final fit was made I sealed along the top with some RTV siicone. By using this method I kept the amount of Y axis travel loss to a minumum

The last picture shows how the cover travels between the angle iron mount for the rubber shield and the aluminum bar.

Last edited by Cuttings; 08-09-2017, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Nice work!

Curious, in the pics it looks as though your Y power feed sticks out towards you on its side?
          Andy

Comment

Andy - The power feed is actually on the X axis. It is mounted on the left hand end of the table horizontally. The picture is taken from the front of the mill and the table is all the way over to the right to show the clearance between the plastic gear cover and the Y axis cover. My pictures are not as clear as they could be and I find I have to put a lot of thought into the description so hopefully someone else can understand what I am trying to describe.

Comment

Working...
            X